Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
My 30 gal. long with 2 small ps was bacterial deficient (my ammonia wouldn't drop from 0.5 ppm even after numerous water changes).

Making matters worse, I thoroughly rinsed and cleaned my bio-bag from my whisper 30 (the ammonia went off the charts and wouldnt' drop).

I added an additional whisper 40 and am doing small water changes every 2 days (but ammonia is still not dropping).

I am going to get some Biozyme to add bacteria into my tank.

My question is . . . I am supposed to remove the carbon, correct?
So can I just remove my 2 biobags from the filter for a little bit? Or am I supposed to remove every single grain of carbon from them and put the bio bags back in? And replace the carbon when?

where do i dump the grains of biozyme into?

Tank Filtration
Whisper Power Filter 30 (145 gph)
Whisper Power Filter 40 (210 gph)
Maxi-Jet 600 Power Head (160 gph?)

EDIT-
Other facts: My ps wouldnt eat for a long time and would barely even move, but now are acting normal and eating a lot (but I try not to feed them much until I lower the ammonia).

Also, I initially added ammo-lock/amquel to fix the problem but stopped. It is said that those products give false readings, but I think my readings are find now (and still high) cause I did numerous water changes afterwards.

TY

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
did u rinse the bio bag in tank water or tap water
and for the bio zyme it only aids in growing bacteria it doesnt contain any
if u rised in tap water u killed the bacteria u had get bio spira it is the bacteria the other stuff is food for bacteria
i had same prob i did 100% water change ( in an oscar tank) and kept changing after that found i had leftover food so i completely emptied tank washed everything ( including gravel ) and that fixed prob
also amonia kits with one reagent will give false readings ( those tests only detect the presence of ammonia not a ppm readout ) get one with 2 solutions and a test tube ( dr welfish makes one ) and that will tell u how much ammonia in water
as for removing carbon i have no idea i thought was only when medicating
but try some of the other stuff i metioned first
hope this helps
later

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Powder said:
did u rinse the bio bag in tank water or tap water
and for the bio zyme it only aids in growing bacteria it doesnt contain any
if u rised in tap water u killed the bacteria u had get bio spira it is the bacteria the other stuff is food for bacteria
i had same prob i did 100% water change ( in an oscar tank) and kept changing after that found i had leftover food so i completely emptied tank washed everything ( including gravel ) and that fixed prob
also amonia kits with one reagent will give false readings ( those tests only detect the presence of ammonia not a ppm readout ) get one with 2 solutions and a test tube ( dr welfish makes one ) and that will tell u how much ammonia in water
as for removing carbon i have no idea i thought was only when medicating
but try some of the other stuff i metioned first
hope this helps
later
[snapback]880725[/snapback]​
i rinsed in tap.

im pretty sure my test kit is fine. it reads from yellow to dark green (someone said that one reads correctly?)

ive been doing so many water changes and that hasnt fixed problem.

biozyme reads "living nitrifying bacteria and enzymes." anywho i have no location in my area that sells biozyme.

my ps are acting normal. better than normal actually. dont hide as much as before even the problem occured.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
yeah by washing bags in tap the chlorine in the water kills the bacteria
i wash mine out when i do a water change and i use old tank water to rinse them off
always wash your media mechanical and bio in old tank water or dechlorinated tap water but the tank water is better
only thing to do is hope the bacteria builds up again u can try bio zyme
but ive heard that only bio spira works effectivly but the bio zyme wont hurt so go for it and if u can get ssome gravel from a cycled tank put it in your filters that will help as well
good luck
later

·
Registered
983 Posts
Your tank is cycling all over again because you killed all your bacteria by using tap water. You should put your P's in another tank while your tank recycles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts