• 2-Below Average

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 1-POS

Votes: 1 16.7%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
i have a koralia 1, it is by FAR the best powerhead i have owned.

it has a far wider output than most other powerheads, so the strength of it doesnt FEEL really strong, but it's moving a lot of water.

the magnet they use for mounting makes things a LOT easier than using stupid suction cups

·
Breaki'n all day...
4,507 Posts
The Koralia line of powerheads from Hydor are relatively new to the market but have been selling like crazy. They have a great design which shares the same idea as Tunze's Nano Stream Powerheads.

I shopped around when looking for a powerhead of this design and decided that the Koralia line of powerheads are definitely the best bang for the buck. They are much cheaper than Tunze's (generally, prices do vary though from distributor to distributor) and they have performed flawlessly for me as of now.

There are currently 5 models:

Model Flow Rate Watts Dimensions

Koralia Nano 240 gph 3.5 2" x 3"
Koralia 1 400 gph 3.5 2-1/4" x 5"
Koralia 2 600 gph 9 2-7/8" x 5-7/8"
Koralia 3 850 gph 10 2-7/8" x 5-7/8"
Koralia 4 1,200 gph 12 3-1/4" x 6-1/4"

These powerheads are especially usefull in saltwater aquariums do to the widespread flow of the powerheads. The flow isn't concentrated into a powerful stream, but is evenly distributed so it will provide the flow your corals and liverock needs, without putting stress on aquarium inhabitants. They also run extremely quiet, and due to their low power consumption they give off very little heat into your aquarium. Another plus is the mounting system. This powerhead uses a strong magnet to stick anywhere on your aquarium glass. The powerhead is submerged in the tank and the opposing end of the magnet is lined up with it on the outside of the tank. It sticks very well and doesn't slide too easily either.

Prices
There are too many online retailers to list so here are afew.
The prices range from 30$ - 50$ at Dr. Foster & Smith--Click Me
32$ - 54$ on Ebay (again this price varies from seller to seller)

For our Canadian members they can be ordered from Big Als Canada Click me
The prices range from 50$ - 80$ for The 1-4 models (The Koralia Nano isn't available right now)
They are 32$ - 58$ from jlaquatics Click Me

I paid for 2x Koralia 2's at 60$ each. Prices are cheaper elsewhere but after shipping/handling for me it worked out to be the same.

SO...Fair price, Good Performance, Compact Design, Good Flow Rates, Very Quiet and Low Power Consumption.
All in all, Great product.

·
Texas Justice
2,257 Posts
I have a new 7 foot tank being built, I am seriously considering two of these, one on either side, one in the front and one in the back to give a nice flow.

Which one one you guys suggest for a 7 foot long 30 inch wide tank?

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
BS asked if they worked partialy out of water.....answer is....no.....very very loud and splashs everywhere

I have a HK4 ......I love it....so do my fish!!!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I have a 2 on my 30 long rhom tank, awesome flow, and I have two model # 4 in my reef in opposite corners. and Holy crap, they make everything move, everything has directional force, it is totally aweosme as close to the ocean for the lil amount of money!

·
Registered
20,454 Posts
wonderful product-Nothing but good to say-

I bought one of the Number 1's for my saltwater setup and I must say after buying this-All others are a waste of money-It's the only brand I will buy from on now...

·
Registered
96 Posts
my koralia 1 jst arrived, and from what ive experienced 5 mins ago.... current is really weak..... barely reaches my hand in the water and im like really close to it. its in my 55gal right now and it barely moves anything.. i should have went higher GPH. coz the 400gph of these hydor's feels like 10gph.... im disappointed

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Hey flipstyle, apparently you didnt read the the info on these, they are gentle current, they produce a gentle current but wide, it will make your mid low and high areas of tank have life.. I never founf a powerhead do that ever. Agreed, I would recommend a bigger model like a 2 or 3 for a 55, I have a 4 in my reef 90gallon and man o man It does some awesome flow all over tank!

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
would a i think a num4 (about 1200) be good on a 125 piranha tank or stick to something like ac?

·
Guinness eyes
7,136 Posts
Thank you for this post!

I have been asking if it was even a comparison between the Hagen and this which I didnt htink there was but PUFF helped clear that up for me!

I have no opinion Never used it but heard good things!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have a model 4 for my 6' 125 gallon. Sends a nice broad stream about halfway or more across the tank. Excellent product!!!

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I have a model 4 for my 6' 125 gallon. Sends a nice broad stream about halfway or more across the tank. Excellent product!!!
Im doing the same and its a great powerhead to eliminate dead spots and to allow filters to pick up all water and not leave any water thats sitting in dead spots.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts