Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the stance is from the users here....there has been a lot in the news lately about this with those Raelian quacks.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but the problem is you will have to kill human life to harvest those organs....Have anyone seen Gattica?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Booo that sh*t can only go bad! It will be like Star Wars Episode 2 some nut will clone billions of soilder and kill us normal folk. Or they will take us over, They took Arnold over! If they can get him they can get ANY ONE OF US!

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
its good, so long as we keep the cloned bodies devoid of the higher levels of brain matter (just keep the brainstem and such, for basic bodily survival). Then we're all set

·
Registered
491 Posts
as long as its left up to the experts (doctors and such)who know what their doing, but in 100 years if it becomes common knowledge, there would be things like basment cloning labs. That would suck

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Human cloning bad. Human body parts good. There is a massive medical benefit to cloning that is currently being stiffled due to ignorance on the political front. There needs to be a better understanding of the differences. Also clones to date have had all sorts of medical problems. Dolly was not 100% healthy. The Raelians are a riot, it's just a cult looking for attention. Nobody should take them seriously and I think we can safely say that they are full of crap, they don't have any clones.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can they clone stem cells yet? Stem cells seem to hold the key to cure most diseases where degeneration of tissue is a problem....i.e. spinal cord injuries etc.....

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Xenon said:
Can they clone stem cells yet? Stem cells seem to hold the key to cure most diseases where degeneration of tissue is a problem....i.e. spinal cord injuries etc.....
Isn't that one of the things banned right now?

·
"Tony Danza!"
574 Posts
I am in favor of cloning. I think the possibilities are endless. Why wouldn't we? Because a fictional belief says we shouldn't? Riiiight. No thanks, I'll let you believe what you want, and I'll believe what I want. Now if you don't want to study cloning, fine, don't. I want the options down the road. Don't condemn my future based on YOUR beliefs.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
There are a number of reasons that are in favor in cloning (or at least, 'farming' body parts), but as with so many things, there is a number of dangerous con's to cloning, and for me, those outweigh the potential benefits.

Compare knowledge about cloning and the technology to put it into practice to WMD if you will: as long as they are in responsible hands, it's pretty safe. But just like with WMD, the knowlegde will become available to people who should not have it in the long run.... There are enough lunatics out there looking for ways to achieve their goals: cloning knowledge will be just one of them....

But I admit cloning offers more potential good than WMD ever had or will....

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
This is another ethics arguement that will have no end.

Why is cloning bad? Can you give me one negitve, UNSUBJECTIVE, reason that cloning a human for no other purpose could lead to? There are many benifits which can be stated objectively in support of cloning.

Did many of you know that cloning of human organs can be done is PIGS. These organs are then perfectly transferable to human patients. It has already been done. However, without cloning, this would not be possible.

I am actually in favor of cloning. I feel that it provides a greater good. However I am a scientist at heart, and live life with that way of thinking. I believe in darwinism. Those that believe in one of the major religions will usually not aggree with cloning. Many of this countries lawmakers fit into this category, and this is why cloning is illegal as well as the rest of the world.

Its amazing how P owners can become prolife when it has to do with HUMAN life, but somehow find amusement in watching the death of countless feeders, mice, and rats.

Again, I am not exempt from this in anyway. Like I said before we pick and choose, what best fit our conviences and moral values. I choose the greater good which cloning can provide.

~Dj

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
It's not all that amazing, human life is usually valued more than that of animals, particularly smaller ones. But anyways that's not the point. Cloning body parts is vastly different than cloning an entire being. Cloning body parts should be done, just imagine how many lives can be saved by creating organs rather than waiting for a suitable donor.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
well yeah, thats y i think itd be great if we could clone humans, but like take out the higher levels of their brains out as babies, or figure a way to make it so the higher level doesnt develop in the first place, but i think the former would be easiest

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Neoplasia said:
Cloning body parts should be done, just imagine how many lives can be saved by creating organs rather than waiting for a suitable donor.
Definately. But this is considered human cloning, as it requires the use of stem cells which is illegal.

~Dj

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.