Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Doesnt seem right for a fish that old to go out like that....to me there was something very demeaning about that video.
absolutely.

And, going by population studies of other things that get large and old (say... sea turtles?), this cant last. Especially with these fish having such value. Netting an entire river seems unfair as well, but it's hard to argue from a more developed country about whether these folks should be allowed to do this. It's the classic do as I say, not as I do. /misses giant sturgeon in Lake Michigan

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
And, going by population studies of other things that get large and old (say... sea turtles?), this cant last. Especially with these fish having such value. Netting an entire river seems unfair as well, but it's hard to argue from a more developed country about whether these folks should be allowed to do this. It's the classic do as I say, not as I do. /misses giant sturgeon in Lake Michigan
I agree...and I am not judging these people at all...I just found that video depressing. I have spent some time in Thailand and know the conditions...so I would never presume to judge the people there. My comment was more just based on seeing a big old fish being treated like that....just seems like he deserved more respect. I dont know..it is hard to describe how I felt about that video.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Amazing video, and were they live you need the money to survive for you and your family alone so you do whatever it takes point blank.

2,170 Posts
I agree...and I am not judging these people at all...I just found that video depressing. I have spent some time in Thailand and know the conditions...so I would never presume to judge the people there. My comment was more just based on seeing a big old fish being treated like that....just seems like he deserved more respect. I dont know..it is hard to describe how I felt about that video.
[/quote]

I feel that man, but at the same time I mean, look at their village, it's a little shantytown and they are all poor as crap. If one giant catfish can bring in twice their yearly income I think it's exactly these type of people that should be fishing for them. I feel for the prey and the predators, but there has to be a well maintained balance in that relationship.Take a little, give a little, know what I mean?

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I feel that man, but at the same time I mean, look at their village, it's a little shantytown and they are all poor as crap. If one giant catfish can bring in twice their yearly income I think it's exactly these type of people that should be fishing for them. I feel for the prey and the predators, but there has to be a well maintained balance in that relationship.Take a little, give a little, know what I mean?
Yup...I dont see anything wrong with what the people in the video are doing. It would be the same if the animal in question was a dog....IMO this video doesnt reflect negatively on the people and their culture...however I still feel sorry for the animal.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
I think there is a smart middle ground where more developed countries can educate them about a sustainable way of fishing. Yeah, we learned the hard way, but does everyone have to?

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
I wonder if that fish will fit in a 55 gallon for life?

JK.

That fish was crazy huge. I did like how they just waited in a hut weaving baskets.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thats a huge ass catfish.....

I'm filipino and I've visited the Philippines since after I moved to the states and its hard, people do what they have to and a lot of people would be disgusted to know what goes on. Fisherman especially, they live in "squater" homes that they make, they live off what they catch and its sad seeing this since I have so much oppurtunity in teh states while these people suffer.. To have them catch something like that and feed their family is great. We spend a hundred bucks like its nothing here(not liek nothing but it flies by like nothing)

an average person in a third world country as a bank teller for example in the Philippines makes 5,000 Pesos a month, thats 125 american dollars. :*(

125 for a month, thas impossible for a lot of us to do.

but that is a beautiful fish, but when fish get that big they do not taste good.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Thats a huge ass catfish.....
:nod:

I'm filipino and I've visited the Philippines since after I moved to the states and its hard, people do what they have to and a lot of people would be disgusted to know what goes on. Fisherman especially, they live in "squater" homes that they make, they live off what they catch and its sad seeing this since I have so much oppurtunity in teh states while these people suffer.. To have them catch something like that and feed their family is great. We spend a hundred bucks like its nothing here(not liek nothing but it flies by like nothing)

an average person in a third world country as a bank teller for example in the Philippines makes 5,000 Pesos a month, thats 125 american dollars. :*(

125 for a month, thas impossible for a lot of us to do.

but that is a beautiful fish, but when fish get that big they do not taste good.
[/quote]

like the saying goes "it is what it is.."
but a bank teller here now makes roughly 12-15K so thats about $205.. still small compared to what you guys could make..

·
Registered
387 Posts
what is the exchange rate now in the Philippines?

I remember when i was a kid it was at 25 pesos for every dollar.

2,170 Posts
Yup...I dont see anything wrong with what the people in the video are doing. It would be the same if the animal in question was a dog....IMO this video doesnt reflect negatively on the people and their culture...however I still feel sorry for the animal.
[/quote]

Yeh I hear that GG

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I will be visiting cambodia next year. i cant wait to go see the mekong river. of course ill take plenty of pics of the fishes i see.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts