Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Stop feeding them feeders and they will get hungry enough. It took a while but they got hungry enough and now thats all my P's eat. Except every once in a while I'll buy them some feeders, but I'd wait for some time for that. Good luck.

·
The devil's son in law..
3,626 Posts
Best bet is not to give your piranhas feeders, they carry disease and parasites yada yada. Stick to fresh or frozen stuff.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
How old are your piranha? Babies are extra sensitive to how often they eat, and they CANNOT last as long without food as an adult can. Maybe it would be easier to wean them once they are mature or close to it just to be safe.
~Taylor~

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't feed feeders!

My primary diet for my 4 inch P is fish fillet and tiger prawn! I just want to teach it to eat Pellets for more variety!!

Usually how many pellets per day?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hmm... I wouldn't wanna starve a P that small.

I would just not feed him for a day and then try it. If he doesn't eat, give him something else.

·
Registered
780 Posts
how big are your ps?

it might be too late to start feeding them pellets. they won't know that the thing floating on the surface is food. if they don't except floating foods as of now, i don' t think they would take pellets. if they do eat floating foods, keep throwing in pellets until they accept it regularly. don't give in and feed them something they like b/c they will hold out till you throw it in again.

ps stay away from feeders, you don't want them hooked on live food when they are older. besides diseases, it's gonna cost you a lot.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
My opinion is to try a sinking pellet like Hikari Carnivore Sinking Pellets. They're super stinky and my Piranhas love them. Just be patient and try and drop them near your fish. Mine grab them before they ever hit the bottom.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Mack said:
Hmm... I wouldn't wanna starve a P that small.

I would just not feed him for a day and then try it. If he doesn't eat, give him something else.
[snapback]960360[/snapback]​
I would also be a little weary about starving a piranha that small. I'd wait till he matures and then try it, because then he will be safe while weaning as far as starving goes.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Just let them go without food for a couple days and throw some pellets in there. Ive never had problems getting my rb's to eat pellets. Hikari pellets are okay but I think Jumbo-Min' alot better. Good luck!!!

Regards,
Jamie

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
fung88 said:
After starving him for 2 days He accepted the sinking shrimp pellets that i gave him!
[snapback]961185[/snapback]​
Good!!! I love hearing good news!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Even though he eats it It takes a while for it to eat it!! I am waiting for it to snap at the pellet before it touches the sand! =P
I'll keep you guys updated

·
Registered
273 Posts
your gay as fuk for even starving your fish how bout mommy starves you five days cuz u wanna eat out at dinner at a restaurant and not eat mcdonalds or burgerking

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
FLsunshine said:
your gay as fuk for even starving your fish how bout mommy starves you five days cuz u wanna eat out at dinner at a restaurant and not eat mcdonalds or burgerking

[snapback]961314[/snapback]​
*chuckles as he reports post to moderators*

·
Registered
273 Posts
go ahead and report it man 50 times i dont care less..i think its stupid to starve fish out when they need food everyday so shoot me bitch

my fish eat happily sometimes quarentined feeders, sometimes krill wutver they feel like cuz theyre my pets and if they dont eat I CARE

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
FLsunshine said:

[snapback]961314[/snapback]​
Relax with the language bro. No need for that here!

btw Ps can go for a month easy without food

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
FLsunshine said:
go ahead and report it man 50 times i dont care less..i think its stupid to starve fish out when they need food everyday so shoot me bitch

my fish eat happily sometimes quarentined feeders, sometimes krill wutver they feel like cuz theyre my pets and if they dont eat I CARE
[snapback]961520[/snapback]​
Once you know what you're talking about, feel free to post.

First off-Piranhas DO NOT need food every day. They just don't. Depending on how much you feed your fish, there is a good chance that you are overfeeding. What he is doing to get his fish to accept pellets is completely fine.

Most seasoned piranha keepers (not you) will feed their piranhas every other day.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i do know wut im talking about by skipping feeding u just will make fin nips happen more often and if u really mess around youll end up with one of your weaker reds getting eaten

1 - 20 of 27 Posts