Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone told me its a medenai, other told me it was complex form of spilo. how do i tell?

i know it has alot of reds on the gills, the sides of the eyes are turing red also. its got a greenish tint and fading juvie spots. total length with tail is 4.75". i saw some pics on both species and they look the same to me. sorry i got no digi cam.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
the fact sheets could tell you, but they're still down.

I know that one of the differences is supposed to be the eye color, red around the pupil is Spilo CF, white is Medenai.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Lahot Posted on Jun 29 2003, 05:34 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that one of the differences is supposed to be the eye color, red around the pupil is Spilo CF, white is Medenai.
Actually no on the S. medinai description. The species has yellow eyes and resembles P. cariba as juveniles to sub adult. As I stated in Piranha Science, highly unlikely you have S. medinai since it is found in remote localities and not exported, at least not yet to my knowledge.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok its the spilo cf for sure then, but it looks nothing like my gold spilo, the gold spilo looks pygo compared to the CF.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
hastatus said:
Lahot Posted on Jun 29 2003, 05:34 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually no on the S. medinai description. The species has yellow eyes and resembles P. cariba as juveniles to sub adult. As I stated in Piranha Science, highly unlikely you have S. medinai since it is found in remote localities and not exported, at least not yet to my knowledge.
oops, sorry...is there also a fin coloration difference of some kind also?

I live by the fact sheets on here, without them I'm lost, I have yet to find any books that seem to be anywhere near as good as they are.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Lahot said:
I live by the fact sheets on here, without them I'm lost, I have yet to find any books that seem to be anywhere near as good as they are.
Of Course! This is Pfury.

~Dj

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Lahot Posted on Jun 29 2003, 06:35 AM ....oops, sorry...is there also a fin coloration difference of some kind also?

Visit HERE. This should give you a bit more information.

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
InSinUAsian said:
Lahot said:
Of Course! This is Pfury.

~Dj
dont forget about the opfe site
i found that these 2 sites are the best for info

1 - 8 of 8 Posts