Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
If you didn't cycle the tank then its normal and probably means you are in the second stage of cycling. If your P is in there adding salt will help stop the effects of Nitrite poisoning. See the pinned topic if your unsure on this.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Filo said:
to lower nitrates, you can add plants, do water changes, and add amquel +
[snapback]870116[/snapback]​
I think he was talking about nitrItes but sooner or later he'll be asking about nitrAtes :laugh:.

The only thing I would advise right now is perhaps adding a little aquarium salt. If your nitrItes are extremely high, you might want to consider Amquel or something of the sort to detoxify it.

· Nurses Do It Better
8,819 Posts
Just let the natural cycleing process continue without adding any products that may have an effect on ammonia. If you have fish in there you can add a little pre dissolved salt to prevent nitrite poisoning. 1 tablespoon is good for 300 gallons.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jerry_plakyda said:
Just let the natural cycleing process continue without adding any products that may have an effect on ammonia. If you have fish in there you can add a little pre dissolved salt to prevent nitrite poisoning. 1 tablespoon is good for 300 gallons.
[snapback]870508[/snapback]​
well it's been a month since i first started my tank. my ph is fine, my amonia is 0.5ppm (i think), but my nitrites are like the second highest bar on the little scale that i use (i think it's 2.5ppm?)

i added some biospira anyways (treatment up to 30gal, even though i have a 55).

right now i have 4 rbp's that are about the size of a silver dollar. this is their second day in the tank. they are still real skittish but they eat a few brine shrimp flakes every now and then so atleast they are getting food.

btw. what's a good method to vac playsand? everytime i do it, it sucks up the sand? grrr...i knew i should have used gravel!

G

·
Cleaning sand is a lot more tricky definitely. I just hover it slightly above and keep it moving, wiggling it seems to work. Picks up bits and not sand. It is obvious you will pick up some sand.

It still looks better than gravel and its easier to spot mess. If it was easier I would change my gravel tanks to sand.

Be careful with your feedings and clean up fully afterwards. You are still a bit off being cycled and you need to keep ammonia down. Adding the salt is a good plan though, it will help them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.