Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
A small tank is no big deal because any decent-sized UPS backup for the PC will work for at least a day, but what about big tanks with big heaters and filters? During the last winter storm in Wisconsin my buddy lost power for two days and both of his 55g tank with piranhas in them fell below 65 degrees and no filtration. They lived but he said they were swimming almost sideways when they finally have power.

So are big tanks pretty much screwed if the power doesn't come back within a day or two, unless you're willing to buy an AC generator?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
There are battery operated bubblers for your tank that run off of D's. Thats an option. As far as heat and filtration go I dont know what to tell you. There are a few guys here from the colder areas and Im sure they have had to deal with this before. Good luck

·
Registered
19,242 Posts
Many options here-You can boil water if you have a pellet or wood stove-Heat packs taped to the side of the tank-As long as you got the budget for that one-Wrap tank in something insulated like a towel blanket,etc,etc-For air or circulation we have battery powered power heads and air bubblers-Or you could stir the water manually a couple times an hour-Really it all boils down to what you are willing to do to save your fish-This is just "some" things i can think of right now without trying to hard-There is many more options than what i have listed-

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Either a generator or a ac-dc converter that plugs into the cigarette lighter on your car..Those little converters are cheap and if you can park close enough to run an extension cord from the car to your tank you can run filtration and heaters from it.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Either a generator or a ac-dc converter that plugs into the cigarette lighter on your car..Those little converters are cheap and if you can park close enough to run an extension cord from the car to your tank you can run filtration and heaters from it.
have you ever tried this? iv never run an extension cord from one. That is a pretty good idea never would have thought of that.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Yes I have...About 2 yrs ago we had a huge ice storm knock the power out here for a couple days..I ran a 50ft cord from a small power inverter out of my car and let it idle..It ran one of my filters and my heater for the majority of those 2 days.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
I have a wood burning stove in the LR and basement, so heat isn't the problem with me. Other precautions minus the generator are battery operated air pumps and a bottle of Amquel Plus.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
I have a wood burning stove in the LR and basement, so heat isn't the problem with me. Other precautions minus the generator are battery operated air pumps and a bottle of Amquel Plus.
u and that Amquel lol [/quote]

Yea I know. First hand experience with it during power outages though. I'm not just posting when it comes to the stuff.

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts

:laugh: Yea I know. First hand experience with it during power outages though. I'm not just posting when it comes to the stuff.
[/quote]

lol no i remember from way back, ur two big caribe and the brandti i sold to u, u used amquel rite? or was it ammo lock?

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts

:laugh: Yea I know. First hand experience with it during power outages though. I'm not just posting when it comes to the stuff.
[/quote]

lol no i remember from way back, ur two big caribe and the brandti i sold to u, u used amquel rite? or was it ammo lock?
[/quote]

The Brandtii situation wasn't a power outage. The damn filter motor failed and by doing so it messed up the temp in the tank because the Won Bros titanium heaters have the sensor that was on the side where the circulation used to be. In that case i used ammo lock to detoxify any ammonia for the short term. I learned a lesson on that one. I actually ordered extra motors for AC110's and AC70's. Legit power outages I swear by Amquel Plus because it will keep working in the tank up to a week and actually control nitrates at the same time..... P.S... stopping by G's shop Friday mornin for a pickup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.