Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had any good idea's on catching red belly p's in there tank.

Well my tank actually. The only time they have ever ben netted was when they where smaller and I moved them from the old home a 90gal.

When I did this the only way I was able to catch them was too drain almost all the water out and then move all the gravel to one side of the tank, not allowing them to swim very far.

I try'd yesterday to catch one and got very upset. It was very hard just too keep track of one p.

Maybe frank has some input on this. I have no idea. Everytime I get the net close he would get away, and actually caught him once but he ripped the net apart and swam away.

I beleave them being in a big tank makes this much harder to do.
Thanks
MAD

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
I know what you mean MAD. I had to drain my 50 gal 3/4 of the water in order to catch them with ease. With that, I even had to go through 2 nets just to try and swoop up 5 RBs. But good luck with yours in that 240 gal. I say put a piece of meat inside a huge net, and scope up as much as you can when they start their frenzy. Good Luck man!!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
This sucks, where's frank when I need him lol
Oh yeah the time I moved them before I went though 15 nets, and when I moved the 2 bigger ones I had to use a bag, and put it in the water and chase them in it, cause the nets would not hold them

MAD

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I usually have my girlfriend scare them in the direction I'm at. Its a pain in the ass. Not too mention you go though nets like crazy.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Try taking a divider and section them off in a smaller area.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I prefer the method of dynamite fishing: works great...

Seriously, though: I usually just chase them with a net, and try to corner them. P's get exhausted pretty quickly, so you could take advantage of that. And I noticed that sneaking up a net from behind does the trick: just position the net behind the piranha you want to catch, and then try to spook it (tap on the tank glass on the opposite site): it'll often swim straight into the net...

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
you could always use a fishing line and bait

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
Raptor said:
Try taking a divider and section them off in a smaller area.
I agree with this idea MAD. I dont know how feasible it would be in your swimming pool of a tank but it seems like the easiest way to get them isolated and to keep track of just one of your forty.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Invite a local school to come around and catch them for you

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had any good idea's on catching red belly p's in there tank.
Sorry to disappoint, but I simply use a large net, catch the fish flipping him over (like a sandwich) and that prevents him majority of time of biting through it, while still in the aquario. I keep extra nets available and though some have bit holes in it, not large enough to escape. This goes from piranas sizes 5 inches to larger. I used to use (in the beginning) buckets, pails, plastic milk cartons, etc., to catch them, but caused the fish more stress than to just net it. I used this method also to measure, and for fin clipping to keep them from thrashing around. The key thing to remember; keep your fingers, toes and any other body parts away from the fishes mouth. They do snap rapidly and can deliver a nasty bite.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,893 Posts
people been talking about them biting through the nets, could you try a soft ruuber made contaner with some small holes in it?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would also try the dividers. Acouple of those eggcrates might work. I dont have your size tank, but I would separate bout half, then with the second split them up again, and if you need to, separate them up one more time. I would figure that you would only have about 6 or 7 left in the last separation, then your chances get a hell of a lot better to net him out. Good luck!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Everyone gave valid points. I also would suggest removiing anything other than the p's from the tank first so that they are goping nuts and bumping into things.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Use 2 strainers, the ones used when cooking... they cannot tear through the and are relativly large and have worked for people before
. But you are also risk of damaging the fine scales which could introduce disease/parasites. Always keep in mind that scales serve a mutiple purpose other than decoration. They are there as a shield for the soft layer of tissue below.

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
just slowly bring the net to them and they gentley scop them out. my spilos and rhom had success catching them with easy. only scary part is the airborne transfer. i dont know what will happen within those couple seconds. luckly none of them bite through the net while transfering. the most imprtant part is to be gentle and slow =)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts