Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not think i fed my P's to little or to much but., There is always a lot of waste on the bottem of my tank. I feed them 1 time a day, shrimp, or 1 every 2 days, shrimp also,(enough shrimp until they wont eat anymore) And I always Do water changes of around 35-45% a week. Is there anything wrong? There seems to be a awful lot of waste that is away from my filters and just sits there. What should I do and any tips for tank upkeep apprecaited? Water Parameters are fine.

PH-7.0

Nitrite-0

Ammonia-0 or sometimes minimal, very small amounts.

Nitrate- 15-20

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Brad I feed mines every 3 days. They are not big headed or obese, I find them perfect like this.

I know it is hard to hold yourself to only feed 3 times a week but you must have some dicipline and do what is right for your fish. My tank is well planted and I have 2 small crayfishes that eat everything that is left over at night. They stay hidden in the tall grass during the day.

Hater

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
just go with a solid every other day scedual.

its ok to starve the guys for 2 days too like once a month. u want them to feel like they are in the wild. and trust me. p's dont eat everyday.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Once a day for mine. And if I approach the tank & they're not swarming near the surface waiting for me to drop food in, then I don't bother feeding them. Instead Ill wait till the next day.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
see mine are not fat or obese. They are in very good shape. I dont have any problem with leftover food. Its weird they are always hungrey. I have a pleco in there also.

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
i feed my caribe every other day (shrimp or silversides)

i feed the 11 exodons every day.....

the 10" piraya, every 3 days

for ur shoal, id feed once every other day, not soo much that they cant eat any more, more like 1 shrimp per fish.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I feed every day. I feed bite sized pieces of talapia on a regular and then 2" shrimp (shell and tail on) about once every 6-7 feedings. I occassionally mix in earthworms and other "live" food.

To solve your problem, you may want to #1, feed food that is easier to clean out and #2, actually clean out the uneaten food.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
Everyday is the way!!!

its ok to starve the guys for 2 days too like once a month. u want them to feel like they are in the wild. and trust me. p's dont eat everyday.
And the larger the P, the longer they can go without eating. You can let a 9-10" P go weeks without eating, but if you lose a fish, just remember, I told ya to feed everyday.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I feed everyday. Of course, they will eat less some days and more others on that schedule. Sometimes, I will move to feeding every other day just depends on how they act.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Everyday is the ONLY way!

Try even 3 to 4 times a day!

Everyday is the ONLY way!

Try even 3 to 4 times a day!
It would depend on how much you feed at a time... If you fed them 4 bites a day then maybe that would be good for them. I used to eat every 2 hours if not more, and couldn't even gain weight, but I also lifeted weights 5 days a week. Little bit every so often keeps your metabolism running good I guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts