Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious how often all of u change ur ammonia bags and carbon in ur ac 500's or whatever u have thx

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
i usually rinse everthing atleast two maybe three times before changing you can usually tell if it comes clean or not i change the filter sponge at different times as carbon & amonia to keep some benifical bacteria active :smile:

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
The carbon/ammonia change is done when I see it half-way deteriorating in my AC 300. The sponge every month or so. Media in the canister gets changed every 2 months.

·
Dodge City
10,070 Posts
I've never used carbon or ammonia bags other than what came with my A/C 500 and 300.I think I've replaced the foam only once in over 3 years,
I rinse it thoroughly in between water changes.I've never had a problem .
Maybe if someone gives me a good reason,I'll change my ways.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
I change pads in my whisper every month carbon, ammo chips. And all.
Never had a prob with this filter. It's 15 years old and going strong. The damb New tetratec is in the garbage.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
In my ac300 i rinse both sponges and the carbon once a week when i do my water change. every 3 weeks i throw away the old carbon and rinse a new carbon and put it into the filter. I've never changed my 2 sponges yet.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
yeah i say every two months..when you do a water change

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I clean the biomedia in my canister once every 3 months (and replace about a third of it). When I do that, I also rince the filter pads, ceramic pipes, and cotton wool, and replace it if necessary.
With my internal filters (only used for mech. filtration), I rince them and the cotton balls inside once a week, and replace the cotton every 4th or 5th time...

·
Registered
491 Posts
I never change the pads in my whispers, I just wash them every 2-3 weeks with water taken out from a water change.

I change about 1/2 the carbon every month. My water stays crystal clear and I have had no problems since I did it this way.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
some have replacealbe catridges that i replace when water flow begins to become restricted. otehr i clean the sponges, and then for the powerhead... if it becomes slightly clogged which only happened once when fooling around with it, just unclog it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts