Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
A question of preference.
For big plants a layer of about 3-4 inches is required. This would mean you could have about 100-150 pounds in a 100 gallon tank.

Harry

·
Registered
775 Posts
The rule of thumb is usally one pound substrate per gallon. But you can add a little if you like. Really whatever suits you, just make sure there is 1 lb/gal

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks fella's, did not want a beach in my front room. I think I will go with 100 maybe a little over.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The tank can handle the weight, dont worry about it from a weight stand point. Ive got about a 160lbs of flagstone in a 65 gallon along with 40lbs of sand. It can hold the weight.

·
06 C6 LS2
7,996 Posts
whats the max pounds of sand I can have in a 100 gallon tank?

thanks

JK
well you could fill the tank up to the top with sand..but I would say 125-150lbs is good.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
You gotta figure 8lbs per gal of water. IDK how much sand weighs, but I am sure that tanks are made to withstand whatever you put in them, to a certain extent.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If you aren't planting the tank heavily I would use a minimal amount of substrate to make vac'n easier...Maybe 75lbs or so.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
yup....exactly as zippa said.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
i just replaced my sub with paver sand and used 100lbs in a 125G looks good to me

·
Registered
750 Posts
whats the max pounds of sand I can have in a 100 gallon tank?

thanks

JK
No offense, but unless we know the dimensions of the tank's footprint, this question is useless. I have seen 80 gallon showtanks with a smaller footprint than a 40 bredder. YOu gotta tell us the floor room in the tank. eg, a 40 long will take alot more sand to have a 1 inch layer thab a 40 breeder (or a 65 gallon for that matter) would.

·
Registered
750 Posts
still no response....

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Tank, I bought the play sand at Lowes. they had a few choices, I got the all white bag with green letters that said Play sand. There was another play sand but looked real dirty and dusty. Real cheap there, 3.50 for 50lb bag.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts