Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howmuch gallons is good for a black piranha 4 life???? would he be ok in a 45 gl ?? by himself ? or can i add 1 red belly with him so he has a friend ?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
howmuch gallons is good for a black piranha 4 life???? would he be ok in a 45 gl ?? by himself ? or can i add 1 red belly with him so he has a friend ?
Nah man, I would say 75 gl or more. Rhoms can grow over 20".

Hater

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Nah man, I would say 75 gl or more. Rhoms can grow over 20".

Hater
[/quote]

Yes a rhom can grow that large in the wild very rare in captivity. Ive never heard of someone growing out a 20 inch rhom from a baby. Anyway any tank mate u add will most like get eating by the rhom and i think a 75 G would be just fine for ur rhom

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Tank footprint is more important than number of gallons... IMO you need at least a 4'x20" tank to keep a Rhom for a looong while (if you get a small specimen)... eventually (depending on the fish growth) you may require a bigger tank
!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Tank footprint is more important than number of gallons... IMO you need at least a 4'x20" tank to keep a Rhom for a looong while (if you get a small specimen)... eventually (depending on the fish growth) you may require a bigger tank :nod: !
This is solid advice.....Mr. Hannibal is in my opinion a "Piranha Guru"

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Yes a rhom can grow that large in the wild very rare in captivity. Ive never heard of someone growing out a 20 inch rhom from a baby. Anyway any tank mate u add will most like get eating by the rhom and i think a 75 G would be just fine for ur rhom
I've seen Black Rhoms at over 17-18" who is to say there aren't any out there at over 20"? Not everyone in the world who owns a Black Rhom is in this forum and just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it is not out there.

Like I said in my previous thread, a 75 gl tank and above would be recomended for a Rhom.

Hater

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Yeap Rhoms are slow growers once they are sub-adults/adults and nobody really know how large they can get when captive (it depends on many factors)...

... and for those who want to see big Rhoms:

View attachment 127701

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've seen Black Rhoms at over 17-18" who is to say there aren't any out there at over 20"? Not everyone in the world who owns a Black Rhom is in this forum and just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it is not out there.

Like I said in my previous thread, a 75 gl tank and above would be recomended for a Rhom.

Hater
He didn't say that there isn't rhoms over 20"...he said he's never heard of anyone growing out a 20" rhom from a baby.

So those Black rhoms that you've seen over 17-18" were they grown from babies?

·
Offical P-Fury Ex-communicant
6,712 Posts
If your gonna get one small and grow it out id say chances are that a 75 will be perfect for him for as long as you have him. Chances of you growing out a huge rhom are slim. Maybe in several years you will have a 10-12" rhom on your hands. If thats the case you'd have 10 years to save up for a wider tank
. Concerning the buddy for the rhom. Imagine a rhom is oil and a red is water..... they dont mix

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
yeah agree with the rest at 80g+ and at least 2ft deep and 4ft long, but probably more like 5ft

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Damn, those are some monster Rhoms there!!! Mr. Hannibal, is that you in the pic?

Agreed with the above stated. A 75g tank should work for a long while. A 4'(48") X 2'(24") tank should work for life with most Rhoms. If your Rhom needs an upgrade from there you could alway buy a new tank then. However, that would be a long while if you start with a small one.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
He didn't say that there isn't rhoms over 20"...he said he's never heard of anyone growing out a 20" rhom from a baby.

So those Black rhoms that you've seen over 17-18" were they grown from babies?
This is exactly my point, just because he hasn't seen them doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Get it?

I don't know if they were grown or bought at that size all I know is that I saw them. With all the information we have on how to grow Piranhas who is to say that growing a Rhom to 20" is not posible. I'm not saying that this particula thread starter is going to do it but the possibility is there.

So I'll stick to my guns again and say that he should get a 75gl or above with the footprint Hannibal recommended.

Hater

1 - 20 of 27 Posts