Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many reds about 1in. or .5 in. do you think i can put in a 20L gal. tank never had reds that small before and wanna raise some i understand some will die anyway but would like to get the most with out being to crowded?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Are you plannning on keeping them in there for life? To answer your question you can probably fit up to 20 0.5"-1" Red's in a 20 gallon. But you will soon have to sell them because you could only keep one full gown Red in a 20.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I kept 3 reds in a 20 L for a while. THey were at about 2.5-3" each and they were doing fine. Around 3+ inches they may need to be in a bigger tank

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
20 gal per p is a rule if there 3-4 inches im talking about .5in
also i will take them out and put them in bigger tanks as they get bigger but for the time being im just woundering on how many i can put in there

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Both statements can be considered, but like Hannibal said.. after about 2-3", you'll have to transfer them into a new tank. They'll start getting territorial and start attacking each other because lack of space. The best rule of thumb is to think about what the biggest size tank your going to consider. 1 P per 20 gallon, and try to never have them in even numbers.

But if they do start getting bigger and you have more Ps than the space in your tank, Ill do you a favor by taking the unwanted ones from you. :laugh:
:
:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have 9 reds already in a 120gal ranging from 7-10.5 in just wanna start very small and raise them i think its fun watching them get bigger

·
Registered
458 Posts
What are the dimensions of your 120? I also have 9 in my 120 and have no problems, but mine are only 4-6" and I hope I can keep it this way. There is no need to post an answer to the question because I agree that you can keep as many as 10-15 in there until they start to grow to 2" or so.

-Kevin-

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hey Piranha 198......Mine is 48x24x24. I only ad 48" length in my house to fit the tank. Being Reds, I think it will suffice for the next 2-3 years until I can get my 240 or 360 I plan on using. Just in case I screw my credit up and can't get a bigger house
, what are your thoughts on my tank.

-Kevin-

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I suggest that you dont max your 20 out with .5" p's. And if they are going to be moved in a couple of months into a bigger tank, why not put them in there in the first place? Too many p's equals loss of money. At .5" they are going to be fairly cheap, but it's still not worth it IMO.

Just remeber they gonna be around the 3" mark in a couple of months

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i under stand but i dont have the bigger tank at the moment ne way but when they reach the 3in mark there gonna be moved in one of my 120gal with the others

1 - 15 of 15 Posts