Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 75 gallon, how many red bellies can I put in it? I was thinking 6 or 7, oh yeah Mindy dont answer this. I dont want to hear your crap about 20 gallons per fish.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I would go with 5, I had 6 pygos in a 75 and it felt crowded and they were only 5-7 inches. I now have 7 in a 125 and it seems better. I dont agree with 20 gallons a p but they need enough room get away from aggression or to just have some "alone time".

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
1 natt per 20 gallons

by using this rule you shouldnt run into any crowding problems

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If your planning on 6-7 you can do it. But when they start getting bigger they wouldn't have that much room but its been before.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Hmmmm.....my tendency would be to go with 6 or 7 but I dont want to get shot over this thread....

My final answer: 5

:rockin:

·
Registered
83 Posts
The "20 gallon" rule (more correctly, guide) is a good starting point for figuring out how many fish you can keep. After about 60 gallons though it becomes less accurate. In a 75 you could hold 5-6 and be relatively confident they will not crowd each other. Especially if you get them as juvis. It might not be a bad idea to provide plenty of cover, it will make them feel much safer and help reduce stress.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
it actualy all depends on how wide your tank is if you get right down to it

when one piranha has to dodge a bite or nip from from another piranha the extra widness in a tank comes into play tramendiously

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Ba20 said:
it actualy all depends on how wide your tank is if you get right down to it

when one piranha has to dodge a bite or nip from from another piranha the extra widness in a tank comes into play tramendiously
Also depends on length. Height doesn't really help that much in terms of adding more fish.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Don't forget the depth (front/back). Tanks with a more square footprint are more ideal for piranhas, they prefer to roam around near the bottom instead of up/down. So two tanks with identical footprints but one is larger, the larger one is a waste of money. Good point.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
"front to back" is width
but yes you are right about the bigger foot print

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
say your standing in front of the tank

left to right - length
front to back - width
bottom to top - height