Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55g tank that is going to be empty soon. I am interested in getting some piranhas. Ive been reading these boards for a few days.

I am interested in either red bellies or caribes. What is the difference? Could I keep three of them in 55g?

Thanks

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
You can keep 3 Reds in a 55. I don't think you can keep 3 carbie, they usually require more space then Reds.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i think two would be better,only because two of them might pair up and launch some attacks on the one left out. i have 5 small ones right now and soon im getting rid of three of them very soon. if i was you get the caribe if you can trust me if you get the rbp first later on you will want the caribe's.and you'll spend alot of time,and money when you could have gotten the caribe first

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
A guy up here has 3 caribe in 55g and there are tearing each other up, not enough space. 3 reds would be perfect in a 55g. Unless you plan on getting a large tank soon then you can get more.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
red devils red said:
what do you have m-power,just wondering.is the fish market good where your at?
As in fish I have 10"red and a 12" morphtype rhom. I had to get rid of my shoal of 13 caribe for my next shoal comin next week. As for fish market I'm in Alaska so its pretty good.

·
Registered
211 Posts
One important thing you didnt mention:

How big are the RB or cariba?

If you are getting them at dime/quarter size then let them grow up and move them to a bigger tank, then you can have many many in there.

I had 5 RB, 1 oscar, 1 pleco and some feeder goldfish in my 55 gallon. The rb were 4" same with oscar, etc. so there was enough room.

It depends on the size and what you plan on doing.

Its good to have odd pairs, like 3, 5, 7, etc. This way one cant pick on the other one exclusively.

·
Registered
83 Posts
m-power thats cool,you must have some good heaters for your fish,huh?my freind ken was from up there.he told me it was alright up there.another friend of mine was telling me to move up there and open a tattoo shop,but anyway good luck with the new shoal

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not have any piranha yet. I might not get any, in fact. I am just doing a little bit of research before I consider it at all.

I have a spare 55g lying around and do not have room to upgrade. I am considering Wimples as well.

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
o snap its eric said:
over crowding is good. less terriorty. im about to add 5-6 RBs in a 55-60g. and possibally 1 carbie.
So 7 in a 55G? If you can get it to work that would be one full tank.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
there is no 100% positive answer for this question... you could do 5 reds though in my opinion in a 55G as long as you know what you are doing, but if you have not experienced with them before then i would suggest sticking with 3 reds, or maybe one solitary piranha

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
I would go with 3 or 4.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts