Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a 48"x24" (120 gallon) hold the same amount of pygos as a 72"x18" (125 gallon)

How many pygos can a 48"x18" (90 gallon) hold?

Undercrowding/Overcrowding extremes welcomed

I am picking up another tank in January, thats why I ask, I can get the 90 cheap, tank and stand for well under $200 NEW, but I'm immiediatly talking $300+ for the 120

So someones gotta convice me that 6" more depth is gonna hold alot more pygos

Kyle

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Can a 48"x24" (120 gallon) hold the same amount of pygos as a 72"x18" (125 gallon)

How many pygos can a 48"x18" (90 gallon) hold?

Undercrowding/Overcrowding extremes welcomed

I am picking up another tank in January, thats why I ask, I can get the 90 cheap, tank and stand for well under $200 NEW, but I'm immiediatly talking $300+ for the 120

So someones gotta convice me that 6" more depth is gonna hold alot more pygos

Kyle
With a 5 gal difference between 120 and 125 gal, It doesnt matter. Oops, i saw that dimension, my bad... The 125 holds more because its longer and gives the piranhas more space to swim. The 120 wont hold much, so in theory, No, it doesnt hold the same. The footprint is the key to quantities of piranhas in your tank.

A 90 gal can hold at most 5 adult rbp. i think.

Piranhas really dont care about how deep, its how long the tank that counts.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Thats why I was pointing out the 120 is 4'x2' not 6 foot long like the 125

Also RBP will not be going in the tank it will be another co-hab experiment like my 135, most likely terns/supers or supers/caribe or caribe/terns and if I can ever find any PIRAYA will go in the new tank

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Thats why I was pointing out the 120 is 4'x2' not 6 foot long like the 125

Also RBP will not be going in the tank it will be another co-hab experiment like my 135, most likely terns/supers or supers/caribe or caribe/terns and if I can ever find any PIRAYA will go in the new tank
I apologize, i didnt notice the dimesion before i spoke
. The longer your tank the better. I hope you have a successful experiment.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Its my understanding that different pygos require more gal/fish then say the regular red bellies.

I think caribes need an extra 10gal per fish and i would imagine its roughly the same for others.

I think this is pinned somewhere in better detail

Go with biggest footprint you can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts