Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
i dont know if you are new to piranhas or not, but "grouping" spilos, or any other serra for that matter, isnt exactly easy. good luck regardless.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
You should be looking at finishing up with around 5-6 spilos/macs. So as Dawgs suggested, you might want to start off with around 10. I used to have five spilos/macs and went down to 2 very quckly. Good luck if you decide to move forward with this project!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
good luck 1 day i want to try this as well ... let us know how it turns out....

ya id say 10 to start at a
small size

·
Registered
105 Posts
i'd get atleat 10 so you have a decent number leftover just incase things get bad.. some others on here have tried this and some are still doing it.. good luck

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
I started with 10 1 year ago in a 180 gallon, fish were 3/4-1".

Still have 6 @ 6", I would say 1 death was my fault. Breeding time soon

·
Registered
193 Posts
This is just a warning, Shoaling spilos is not a good idea if ur not well experienced with P's...
I have a 180G with 14 spilos and their isn't one fish with out a part or whole fin missing. They are VERY aggressive towards eachother and also very picky eaters.. Mine eat silver sides PERIOD, and I have had many fish losses(not any in the last 6-8 months).. If for some reason these species dont eat for 2days or so you will notice them being more aggressive towards eachother... I actually lose sleep at night cause these dam fish.... I have over a 1/2 dozen spare tanks for when a fish loses to much of their fins or yet tail. The worse part of it all the Biggest fish in the shoal are the most prone to being lost.. They will gang up on eachother...
THIS IS A MUST! -> your tank must be HEAVLY planted with TONZ of hiding spots!!! Also water current is a must, your pumps must turn that tank at a minium or 10 times per-hour.. I have two 800gph pumps, plus four 404's and 3 ac500's.....
These fish are alsome fish to have in a tank by themselfs! They will love you and beg to be feed, but when shoaling its a entire differnt world..
I have done my research and when I have the space I will need to get them into a pond of somesort 800gallons plus for top grade 'A' fish...
I go though a gallon of stress coat a month, thatfishplace.com = $25

I also have found a small group of board members that have been able to breed spilos, but its takes alot of exp. and huge tank space.. 240g-plus
Feel free to drop me line if any questions

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
WHAT MORE CAN WE SAY..............this guy has given you the run down on how much work it really is..........................

·
Registered
193 Posts
good luck 1 day i want to try this as well ... let us know how it turns out....

ya id say 10 to start at a
small size
I would think puttin adult spilos would be better since i hear young ones are fin nippers..
[/quote]

HOW OLD DO U CONSIDER A ADULT?
SIZE?

I can tell u from exp. these fish will not allow new tankmates to be added... If you intruduce them together into a new enviroment then possibly, but a single speciem will not allow another fish into his tank unless u have a nice 6foot tank or close to it. Might be a good idea if you where able to sexy spilos but goodluck at that...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts