Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long until my piranhas reach 6 inches? They say thats how big they should be to feed them mice. They are 3.5 to 4 inches. There are 5 of them in a 55 gallon tank. The water temp is 81, the ph is 6.9. I feed them shrimp, pellets, and krill. How long will it be before they hit 6 or more inches?

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Tough question. Could be 2 months, could be a year. I have a red that about 4.5" and he is not growing much at all and I have another red that I got at the same time, same size, that is about 6" now, so I believe there is an element of genetics tossed in.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i got 4 of them from on guy, and 1 other from another guy. The 1, I call him rambo because his spots are a lot darker and look like camoflage, has much bigger teeth and one eye is like inside its head instead of out. Its hard to explain, but the other ones have eyes that bulge a little, and this one has one eye that is deep in its head. I dont understand what it is.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I agree with grosse gurke on this one. Genetics does seem to play a factor. I have never had all of my fish grow at exactly the same rate. There always seems to be a big guy and a little guy of the shoal. I am getting a tremendous growth rate of out my boys and I hope to have mine at six inches by the end of this semester. Good luck with Rambo and the others.

Joe

·
Registered
834 Posts
I also agree with everyone else, it really depends on the fish, out of the 6 i bought as babies, about 4 of them grew really well, while 2 are growing at a much slower rate. But the funny thing about it is that the 2 smaller ones have attitudes and will actually beat on the larger ones.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
True, each fish has its own genetic inclination. Also what you need to do is get a bigger tank. Im not trying to school you on 1 fish per gal. But no matter what type of fish, they all adapt to their environment.. the bigger the space the faster the growth rate.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
well i cant tell you more then the rest of us here, however yes it depends upon many things, that i dont think we can tell. genitics and others. However proper feeding and a larger then normal tank would help them grow to their fastest rate that the fishes genitcs will let them grow to.
hope that helps some.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When fish you got at the same time at the same size later have a noticeable size difference, the smaller, feistier ones are the males and the bigger ones are the females. Oops, sorry, didn't mean to get that debate stirred up again. Sorry Frank and Nate, but that is my hypothesis, unconfirmed by any scientific evidence.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Sorry Frank
Nothing to be sorry about. Have you PM'd Xenon yet to add your name to the list of those wishing to test this hypothesis out of being able to tell males from females using size as a factor?

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
hastatus said:
Sorry Frank
Nothing to be sorry about. Have you PM'd Xenon yet to add your name to the list of those wishing to test this hypothesis out of being able to tell males from females using size as a factor?
just wondering when is this suppose to happened...and i know this ain't the forum but has there ever been a study of growth rate between female and males from 1" and up... thanks frank

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
just wondering when is this suppose to happened
It will happen soon. Cutting up several piranas accurately is time consuming and nothing to be rushed because of the organs below. Also I need to take several photos before and after to use so that no excuses can be used that the picture was not clear enough. Be patient, those that think P. nattereri are sexually dimorphic will have their chance to prove it.

but has there ever been a study of growth rate between female and males from 1" and up... thanks frank
There has, but many factors are indicated to not use this as carved in stone. Individuals grow at different rates.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I have been documenting the growth of my red bellys since birth, and can say they have reached 6-7"s in 8 months. I am now starting to document the growth of spilo's from birth. I will let everyone know when the research is complete. but unfortionatly wont be for a couple years.
MAD

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
I have been documenting the growth of my red bellys since birth, and can say they have reached 6-7"s in 8 months.
I hope you are keeping accurate counts and morphology information on all of them and not just generalizing for the entire group?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
hastatus said:
I have been documenting the growth of my red bellys since birth, and can say they have reached 6-7"s in 8 months.
I hope you are keeping accurate counts and morphology information on all of them and not just generalizing for the entire group?
I have also read some articles were RBP's will grow from just out of the egg to 5 inches in 8 months. Would this be considered a normal rate, If so then what he has done would be more of an accomplishment then

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
humm dont know what that means. but hey whatever I dont have to share, was just trying to help, if you want to tell me what information I should be keeping my ears are open.
MAD

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
MAD piranhas said:
humm dont know what that means. but hey whatever I dont have to share, was just trying to help, if you want to tell me what information I should be keeping my ears are open.
MAD
I do believe he is asking what are the specific growth rates of each individual fish and at what times did each indiviudal fish start making what changes

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
There is no way I could keep track of 41 piranhas in one tank. So just forget it.
The idea was to benefit you and everyone else to get a better handle on what I was meaning about piranas developing distinctly from each other. It was not meant to disprove anything you wrote. However, if you are unable to keep such records (and it is understandable) no problem. Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. If you change your mind, let me know via PM, perhaps we can devise something to help this out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts