Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owned different types of Piranha I was wondering how long it took for other owners before their fish showed their personalities?

My reds were basically right off the bat 1st day eating. Scarred as hell when anyone walked by the tank but would eat like crazy.

Sanchezi took 1 week before it started to eat. Consistant eater. Is really aggressive when food is in the tank but other than that doesn't really move from it's favourite spot.

Mac.....well this guy is a complete nutjob. Attacks anything from basically day one. Attacked his powerhead and ripped off the plastic guard. Almost jumped out of the tank when I was trying to free up his smelt that got hooked up on the cover. Very fun fish!

Now the Gold Diamond Rhom....basically the fish that made me create the thread. This guy has been a challenge. First two weeks didn't eat. Then he would eat and leave stuff in the tank. Previous owner said he would basically eat everyday. Well after 4 months I must say it was worth the wait. This guy begs for food anytime he is hungry...comes right up to the glass. He can eat everyday, always seems to be hungry. Always moving around the tank (the Giant Danio's in there get him excited when they eat their pellets). Very nice fish that changes color daily (gold in the morning, purplish scales at night, very pretty). I was having doubts about this fish earlier on because all my fish basically showed their true nature in a week or two but this guy really is impressing me now.

Anyone else have any stories? I'd like to know about other types of P's just incase I pick up some fish in the future. Really would like Terns but can't find those guys here in Canada.

·
Registered
775 Posts
nice p dude. Mine are still "coming out of the closet" or whatever. Wait, no my fish arent gay... atleast I hope they arent. Hmmm, well no mine are spooked easy too but I just took there little hideout out of the tank last night and am going to make them get used to people and give them the choice of either eating in front of me or starving. i dont think they will starve.

·
ooo barracuda
6,075 Posts
my old reds took them about 2 weeks.

My rhom took about 6 days to eat and about 1.5 weeks to be agressive. He attacks anything, demolishes 7 inch smelts and that firemouthcichlid i threw in. Attacks me through the glass when i come into my room. Ill make a short vid of him attacking my fingers soon.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
My elong was agressive right off the bat same with my mac and caribe. MY manny on the other hand took about 5 months for him to eat infront of me

·
my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,514 Posts
are we talking about personality or appitite here?

teh way they act is extremely dependant on the way the tank is set up, how the p was raised (tank or wild) how long it was ago it was caught if it was wild, and of course all of that is also specfic to each fish..

if you have a wild caught fish that was in a part of a river that is very quite and say murky waters you will most likely have a timid fish for life, but on the other hand if you have afish taht was in a clearer part of a river near a village were there was more activity in teh water it might adapt better to aquarium life.. if your tank has lots of cover then chancs are the p will hide all the time and never really "come out of its shell" if you want to call itthat but i would say its more like adapt to its new environment..

·
06 C6 LS2
8,000 Posts
S. Mac took about a month
rhom took 9 months
reds 2 days

·
Frontosa King
9,990 Posts
thats my old boy. very nice fish, one of the few piranha i regret letting go.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
My mac... instantly.

My geryi... three months and still in the shell a little.

My big diamond... about two months after the last move, previous to that about two weeks, no clue on the difference.

My small black diamond... about a month and a half.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
when I got my sanchezi, he would eat every day, but refused to eat 2 times a day. He does not beg for food......About a weak ago I took off the subtrate and he did not eat for a week...I put new Subtrate in there then he started to eat again

·
My Rhom could kick your Rhom's ass!
4,697 Posts
my vinny is still in his shell.... and its pretty damn thick! it will be 10 months at the end of december! havent given up on him yet--- he eats fine(took him exactly one month to eat for the first time), hes just scared of people--- im hoping he comes around sooner or later...

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
IMO it depends on the individual... anyway the record (on my extense personal collection) is for my Manny... it took like 10 months for him to came out of his shell
!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Reds took about a week . Then they eat like crazy. I cleaned the tank today and they were striking the vac! They come up to the glass and even follow my finger. The reds I had 2 years ago would never do that. I have theses new guys in a 65 gal. three of them. I love um.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,881 Posts
It took my S. sanchezi about 2 to 3 weeks (if I remember correctly) to come out of his shell since I brought him home. At first he was really shy as piranhas usually are, and then one day he lunged for me through the tank. Since that day he has always been a protector of his territory and will chase your finger if you put it up to the glass.
~Taylor~

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.