Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 rb's in my 55G. I hear lots of you guys saying how they can pretty much all livein there for good and witht them being 4-6" right now.... they seem very happy with there home. I just can't see a 10"+ fish living in a tank that's only 12" deep.

· Registered
1,900 Posts
u r right they cannot live i there forever. some poeple will tell u that your 3 rbp's can live in a 75g for life. i think once they get to that 10-12'' range they should be in a tank that is 72''long. that is just my personal preferance. i would think about upgrading to atleast a 75 in the near future. the 75g is 48x18. i had my caribes in a 55 untill they were about 7'' then had them in 75g and i felt they just did not have enough room to swim around

· Registered
555 Posts
I would just watch them and when you see that they're around 8-9" I would upgrade the tank to at least a 75 gal. Or if you want you could get like a 90 and add one more. You could keep them in the 55 gal but they would probably be very uncomfortable. You're best bet is to upgrade once they hit around 8"

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sccavee said:
I started three in a 55 and when they hit around 6-7" it was too tight for them. I now have 4 about 9" in a 75 and I plan to move them to a 180 in the summer.
[snapback]874058[/snapback]​
if i went with a 90g i the future I could have them all in there comfrotable i would assume? maybe even a forth if i wanted? I also would want a tank that I could maybe put a big ass Rhom in one day.

what are the 90g tank dimensions. anyone have pics of their 90 g? at that size can you still use hang on filters? this hobby is getting expensive, lol. maybe i'd be better of with a spilo in my 55g. I don't think I could find one though.

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ShaneN. said:
if i went with a 90g i the future I could have them all in there comfrotable i would assume? maybe even a forth if i wanted? I also would want a tank that I could maybe put a big ass Rhom in one day.

what are the 90g tank dimensions. anyone have pics of their 90 g? at that size can you still use hang on filters? this hobby is getting expensive, lol. maybe i'd be better of with a spilo in my 55g. I don't think I could find one though.
[snapback]875812[/snapback]​
If it came down to it could I just keep my biggest rb in there? I assume that's more than fine right?

Could I keep one rhom in there?

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cmsCheerFish said:
ur descretion dude..
[snapback]875835[/snapback]​
well i've never owned them before. I've noticed that they should be way bigger for how long i've had them now (almost a year). I'm thinking about cutting down the driftwood so it doesn't take up any space (just sits at the bottom). Im' just trying to see what I can do with the 55G. One big rb would be fine in there for life wouldn't he? and what about a rhom?

· Registered
136 Posts
Shane from shiftin right? Anyways, the guy who had my 55gallon before me had like 4 reds in it that were all like 9". The key was that he had a really good powerhead at the bottom of the tank that kept them all swimming all the time. A rhom would definatly do good in a 55. I would imagine after it gets over 12" it would be time to get a biger tank but until then it would do fine.

· Registered
457 Posts
dallas said:
Shane from shiftin right? Anyways, the guy who had my 55gallon before me had like 4 reds in it that were all like 9". The key was that he had a really good powerhead at the bottom of the tank that kept them all swimming all the time. A rhom would definatly do good in a 55. I would imagine after it gets over 12" it would be time to get a biger tank but until then it would do fine.
[snapback]875923[/snapback]​
Yes, that's me...... I really which I would have snagged your fish

I want to keep all my p's in this tank but if I can't do that I'd at least like to keep the biggest one.

Is leaving a powerful powerhead at the bottom of the tank a good idea? How could he ever rest?

I guess what I'm looking for is what I can do with my 55 g... like can I keep 1 rb for life or how about a rhom for life?

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ShaneN. said:
1) Is leaving a powerful powerhead at the bottom of the tank a good idea? How could he ever rest?

2) I guess what I'm looking for is what I can do with my 55 g... like can I keep 1 rb for life or 3) how about a rhom for life?
[snapback]876064[/snapback]​
bump for th questions.
thanks guys.

· Registered
136 Posts
I dont think the fish need to rest, but maybe i'm wrong. I think you could keep a red in there for a long time, but i think it kinda sucks only having one piranha expecially when a red is a pack fish. How are you reds doing? are they killing and biting each other alot? If you are going to only keep one red, i recomend you looking for a rhom because they are really aggresive (somtimes depending on the one you get and the size). rhoms also grow slower, so you could have it in your tank for a really long time. You may also want to just get a bunch of new baby reds and start over again. Thats what i'm considering doing.

· Registered
457 Posts
dallas said:
I dont think the fish need to rest, but maybe i'm wrong. I think you could keep a red in there for a long time, but i think it kinda sucks only having one piranha expecially when a red is a pack fish. How are you reds doing? are they killing and biting each other alot? If you are going to only keep one red, i recomend you looking for a rhom because they are really aggresive (somtimes depending on the one you get and the size). rhoms also grow slower, so you could have it in your tank for a really long time. You may also want to just get a bunch of new baby reds and start over again. Thats what i'm considering doing.
[snapback]877498[/snapback]​
well the reason i'm looking at what i can do with the tank is cause I want some real damn big fish. I really don't wanna start again when they aren't even big enough yet to satisfy me (well you know what i mean)

they are doing good though. once and a while they're chase one and another around but i assume that's normal. they don't fight or bite fins at all.

i'd get a rhom but i don't know where i'd get one around here :\ what does big al's in richmond carry, dallas.

and what are the dimensions of a 75g? i'd like to re-use my stand if i could.

I'll post poics when i get home from work so you can get an idea of how big my fish are. oh and dallas is your fish gone... like GONE GONE? or awaiting payment kinda thing? that fish was beautiful!!!! (more pics too if you have em)

EDIT: PICS ADDED. I JUST TOOK THESE. Let me know if you think the P's are getting big enough that i should lay the wood on the left flat and the piece on the right flat on the sand as well (for more room)

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just took a couple more pics after i taped a 6" ruler to the side of the tank. they were realllllly interested. i couldn't get my big guy to get close but i got several pics of my smallest.

and of course we gotta show the big guy (it's funny.... i can never get pics of him but whent he camera is off he likes the chase my finger.... camera shy)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.