1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sex Kitten Lover
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
scientifically it isnt that size, light refracts as it passes through different mediums (air, glass, water) to make a long story short, it makes your fish look bigger, it depends upon your distance from the tank and the fish's distance to the glass

no references here, its something I know for sure and can prove mathmatically, though very tedious, however I am working on it for me calculations page when I get time

·
Sex Kitten Lover
358 Posts
Thats cool, I know it wasn't exact, more of a ballpark figure. I tried 1st putting the ruler on the front of the tank, but he very rarely comes up to the front of the tank right to the glass where I could measure him that way, I also don't ever plan on taking him out of the tank all together to measure him, I know people do that, which is fine, just not something I want to do. Thanks Nate.

What you are saying though, only holds true for pics right?, I mean if he ever sits still long enough, and is right up on the glass and ruler, and I can look and figure out the exact measurements w/ out a pic, would that be accurate, or is it impossible to measure a fish in the water?

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
no its for anything, the light bends as it goes trough different mediums, so if you want to be as close as possible you put a ruler inside the tank and wait till he darn near touches it and then read it, with it outside it will refract again through the back of the tank

my way to measure put a metal ruler in and wait for the fish to get right next to it within an inch

I dont take my fish out to measure either, unless I am moving them

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
yea metal ruler i nthe the tank your best bet man but for a ball park figure, i guess that might work? id still do te metal ruler.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
giovanni82 said:
Thats cool, I know it wasn't exact, more of a ballpark figure.
Yeah I understand that you were just trying to get an idea, because it would probally be better than just judging by what you see with no refernece.... you could try comparing it to the size of known object in the tank that may also help ... Good Luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts