Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious thats all, i was lookin through a very very old link of how to pronounce piranha names (please see link), but i couldn't find Sanchezi.

Piranha names

I just say it like this, ''Sanchez-eye''. This is probably the incorrect way but oh well. Please share you're thoughts and how you would say it

G

·
Hmm I would think the way you are saying it Murph is correct as any of the other P's that end in "i" are pronounced "eye"

Though Winkyee I have always said it the way you wrote it.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Taken off my quotes:
Genus Pygocentrus (gee-nus) (PIE-Go_SIN_truss)

Genus Serrasalmus (Sarah-sell-mus)
Pygocentrus cariba (kah-ree-bah) Serrasalmus altuvei (al-too_vee_eye)
Pygocentrus nattereri (nat-ter-err-eye) Serrasalmus brandtii (brandt-eye)
Pygocentrus piraya (pee-ray-ah) Serrasalmus compressus (kom-press-us)
Serrasalmus eigenmanni (eye-gen-mann-eye)
Genus Pristobrycon Serrasalmus elongatus (e-long-gah-tus)
Pristobrycon calmoni - Pres-Toe-Bri-kon Kal-Mun-eye)
Serrasalmus geryi (cher-ee-eye)
Serrasalmus maculatus - (MACK-YOU-Lah-Tuss)
Pristobrycon striolatus Serrasalmus manueli (manh-well-eye)
Serrasalmus medinai (Med-dee-nah-eye)

Genus Pygopristis Serrasalmus rhombeus (Rhom-bay-us)
Pygopristis denticulata (PIE_GO_Pres_tess) (den-tee-coo-lah-tah)

Serrasalmus spilopleura (SPY-low-pluh-rah)

S. sanchezi would be; sanh-ches-eye

eigenmanni is like this EYE GEN (like "again" without "a" sound) MAN- EYE.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
I seem to recall doing an audio plugin somewhere here on pfury. I did a cursory check but did not find it. I believe there are a few on the OPEFE web site. If not, I'll consider loading some up during next week if not sooner.

How come it wasn't originally on the list?
Originally, S. sanchezi was given a common name of spilo complex form. So the "sanchezi" name was not available at that time.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I seem to recall doing an audio plugin somewhere here on pfury. I did a cursory check but did not find it. I believe there are a few on the OPEFE web site. If not, I'll consider loading some up during next week if not sooner.

How come it wasn't originally on the list?
Originally, S. sanchezi was given a common name of spilo complex form. So the "sanchezi" name was not available at that time.
Ahh i see. Learn something new everyday

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
Taken off my quotes:
Genus Pygocentrus (gee-nus) (PIE-Go_SIN_truss)

Genus Serrasalmus (Sarah-sell-mus)
Pygocentrus cariba (kah-ree-bah) Serrasalmus altuvei (al-too_vee_eye)
Pygocentrus nattereri (nat-ter-err-eye) Serrasalmus brandtii (brandt-eye)
Pygocentrus piraya (pee-ray-ah) Serrasalmus compressus (kom-press-us)
Serrasalmus eigenmanni (eye-gen-mann-eye)
Genus Pristobrycon Serrasalmus elongatus (e-long-gah-tus)
Pristobrycon calmoni - Pres-Toe-Bri-kon Kal-Mun-eye)
Serrasalmus geryi (cher-ee-eye)
Serrasalmus maculatus - (MACK-YOU-Lah-Tuss)
Pristobrycon striolatus Serrasalmus manueli (manh-well-eye)
Serrasalmus medinai (Med-dee-nah-eye)

Genus Pygopristis Serrasalmus rhombeus (Rhom-bay-us)
Pygopristis denticulata (PIE_GO_Pres_tess) (den-tee-coo-lah-tah)

Serrasalmus spilopleura (SPY-low-pluh-rah)

S. sanchezi would be; sanh-ches-eye

eigenmanni is like this EYE GEN (like "again" without "a" sound) MAN- EYE.
You sure about the i at the end of words being pronounced "eye" when following a consonant? In latin it would be a long i = ee...I agree with geryi and medinai being "eye" though.

I also thought ei at the end should be pronounced "ay" and ii should be "ee-eye".

You've got more "eyes" up there than a potato!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I wonder how many scientific names I've been mispronouncing for years.....
And I'll probably continue to do so because they're hard wired into my brain.

·
Wavy
12,087 Posts
I wonder how many scientific names I've been mispronouncing for years.....
And I'll probably continue to do so because they're hard wired into my brain.
Haha I hear ya I will probably never stop calling sanchezi's sancheesies... I used to call geryi's garys as well :laugh:

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
It don't really matter how you say it (unless your talking to me LOL), but spelling is more important and I think I've seen those sci names every which way known. And also written incorrectly like; Serrasalmus Rhombeus instead of Serrasalmus rhombeus.. Show your brillience and get it right.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Here's the link. However, none of them worked for me. If Frank would be willing, I had suggested to a few other members that someone coughcoughFRANKcoughcough could make a video pronouncing all of the names. With either just the pronunciation alone, or a picture and spelling to go along with it.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
blbig50 Posted Today, 04:29 AM
Here's the link. However, none of them worked for me. If Frank would be willing, I had suggested to a few other members that someone coughcoughFRANKcoughcough could make a video pronouncing all of the names. With either just the pronunciation alone, or a picture and spelling to go along with it
That was so long ago....thanks for finding it and sorry the audio is gone. I'll think about doing another audio/video on it. But it will take some time to find a suitable moment. Hopefully before this month is shot.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Just curious thats all, i was lookin through a very very old link of how to pronounce piranha names (please see link), but i couldn't find Sanchezi.

Piranha names

I just say it like this, ''Sanchez-eye''. This is probably the incorrect way but oh well. Please share you're thoughts and how you would say it
Hi redbellyb...

Somehow this kind of scientific names that come from latin and greek words are easy to pronounce to us, the ones whose mother languauge is spanish..

Serrasalmus Cae-rra-sal-mous Sanchezi: Saen-chezz-i

The soud of the double "r" is hard to explain, I blelieve it doesn't exist in the english language phonetic though.

Best.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The soud of the double "r" is hard to explain, I blelieve it doesn't exist in the english language phonetic though.
Sure it does, Rrrrrrrrufles have rrrrrrrridges.
Hi.

I would need to hear you saying that bro, cause almost all the Americans that I have heard trying to make the double r sound have a lot of trouble.
:nod: however what you said is right though.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts