Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i dont hang around here that often, mostly due to have been driven away by the crowds in the lounge, some wich seem to lack any manners at all.

Anyway that aside, heres the story, i wanted to keep some more light demanding corals, but i had a limited economy and and my light fixture was a very simple one with a flat reflector.
So what was i going to do to get some more light in the system? well i bought three Arcadia reflectors. i manage to stick in two of them into the main fixture where they sat well, effectlivey increasing tube output to near 100%
Still, 15 watts is only 15 watts, and i had two 15 watt tubes in 50/50 configuration.

I also bough an Arcadia flourescent controler.

I was trying to figure out how to mount the new light and one of the Arcadia reflectors, and thats when i saw one of my currently unused Incandescent fixtures

I removed the rivet holding the electronics in place, and then used a Vise-Grip to remove the rivets/screws on the top to get at the inner electronics.
Once inside i disconnected the wires and pulled them out.
I then took and removed one of the side panels, and made a U shaped cut/hole to fit the flourescent cables into the fixture.
Getting the stuff in place was quite easy, i just took and drilled holes on the top of the fixture to fit the reflector clips own screws trough and attached it up there.
Then i took and put the cables in place and re-attached the side panel. the cable going to the far end of the tube i simply just hid in behind the reflector.

Works like a charm, i must say im quite happy with how it turned out, it works very well and look good at the same time

So here it is in the rear up top, now containing my actnic tube, since its now seperatly wired i can simlute dusk and dawn a bit.

so my new light schedual is now
10:00 AM: Actinics On
11:00 AM: Marine Whites on
11:00 PM: Marine Whites off
12:00 PM: Actinics Off
24/7: Moonlights.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Well, i refitted this one to add additional light, right up front is the main fixture wich used to house a marine white 9600k and a Blue actinic.

I made the unsetteling discovery a few weeks ago, that my corals were dying from light deficiency, the setup was fine, however the tubes had lost too much light output, i confirmed it by cross referencing with a photo from july and looking at them as they were now, they had browned out considerably. Hence why i built this one and outfitted the tank with a 3rd tube, alltho a bit too late, i lost two entire colonies of Zoas
, seems i need to replace tubes every 6 months instead of 9-12

Anyway, currently i keep Hydnopora, Candy Cane, Hair shrooms, Button polyps and a regular Brain Coral. Alltho my prized largest shroom has died, again the light, most of these are alive still thanks to that they can rely heavily on solids, including the shrooms.
However, the shroom split, normal of course, but since it split it seemed to lack the ability to consume solid foods until it regenerated.... and with the tubes going bad marked the end for it

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Sounds like a nice mix of coral soft, LPS, and SPS!

Yeah, with those bulbs you will have to replace them at least every six months. The spectrum of light they give off shifts and is more conducive for algae.

What are you feeding your mushrooms?

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks.

Well not about my tanks specificly but in working on a general aquatic/marine site. the lobster is in face from a picture i had taken in an oceanarium in germany.

its in fact a caribbean painted lobster

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.