Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i jst found out its too high, im still new to the fish scence, and after loosing a fish this week i did a water sample. i was told once you establish your tank there is no need to worry about it, except do water changes about once a month. well i have been. i got a little kit where you dip in the strips and they show you balances of your tank. well nitrates are really really high.

does anyone kow how i drop this, and will my P's be affected by this. ive noticed lately there hasn't been a lot of activity from them. a solution to this?

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Need more info. How old is the setup, What size tank and how many fish. Is there food leftover in there? What is your filtration. Alot can play into high ammonia. Do you throw alot of feeders in there?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
90 gallon tank 4 piranhas, not alot of feeders

is it just high ammonia, hwo do i get rid of it, water changes?
also could it be the chlorine in the water? because i dont always put the conditioner in, think about it, a gallon is like 25$ and i'd go throught that so fast with weekly water changes

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have an AC300 and and AC500. filtration is good. not alot of food is floating around, as when i do my water changes i use a tool that cleans the gravel during cyphening. you know? a hardley ever put feeders in there but soemtimes i do and they live for a while, my piranhas usually dont eat them after they all swim together after a few days. i dotn get it.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Agree, do 30-35% water change weekly while vacc gravel surface...add fresh water again, wait about 2 days and check your water parameters...!

·
5,310 Posts
Your filtration is good. And no feeders or food waste. Do weekly waterchanges. Stagger the filterpad changes one side at a time. Did you change all your filterpads? That may be it also. Most of your good bacteria lives there.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
New filter or sponge means not so much benefical bacteria (that deals with nitrate) in your tank...!

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
EMJAY said:
no i didn't change it, the AC500 is new though, so thatsprobly what it is.
High nitrates with no ammonia or nitrites says you have adequate bio filtration, you just need to up the water changes....or you have nitrates in you water supply. It has nothing to do with a new filter.

·
5,310 Posts
Sorry my bad
GG is right i was backwards. That tells me to stop and think about it. I always get the two backwards. Sorry again
Thanks gg for catching it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Um, if you have chlorine in your water you really need to be adding a conditioner.

Also, water changes are necessary. Once a month will not cut it with fish like Ps. I do 25-50% per week, and it seems to barely keep it in check (I think the wife is WAAAAAY overfeeding when I'm out of town).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.