Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a 180 gallon tank for Christmas and it is sitting in the back of my truck waiting to be moved. How did you move your tank of close or equal size. Its made of glass and weighs a ton so I wanted some ideas of how to move it without risking dropping it. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
when i had my 125 moved to my basement it took my 2 uncles to move it
you will probable need 4 guys (1 each corner, and mayby someone to hold a door)
if you have to go down staris is difficult,
you might want to measure its path to see where it will need to be angled upor room to turn
remove anything that could be in your way
just move stand in its location prior to moving tank
then just go carefully and slowly and youll be fine

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Lots of strength and guys who can lift well.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I had a friend help me lift it into the house. If its going up staires let the bigger guy go first.

going threw doors you will only have anough room to have 2 guy's on it.
but its always nice to have a 3rd to trade in,if someone tires out during the move.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Cheap labor is always available. You can often spot illegal alien laborers looking for any kind of work in strip malls esp. in heavily ethnic neighborhoods.

·
Registered
88 Posts
as others have said....more ppls...more lift, make sure that you have good strong person/people helping you.
i moved 2 120Gs, and 110G with me and one other person (tho not recommended). 2 tricks i might suggest are...for goin up or down stairs...probably the easiest way is to drag it, of course this is easier if its carpeted. if its not carpted, you can use a piece of cardboard to lay under it to avoid any scratches. Same idea for getting it onto your stand. Of course more ppls the better to place it on the stand....if you do not have ppls available, put your stand where you want it (more or less...you should be able to shimmy it around some with the empty tank on it) shimmy or 'walk' the tank over to the side of the stand with the tank on its end (standing with the length upwards), again useing either a towel or piece of cardboard on the edge of teh stand, slowly drop it over so that it is on a diagonal against the end of teh stand...from there you can grab the end on the floor and sort of push and lift....itll go, and with the cardboard/towel protection you wont scratch your stand or tank...then just pull the piece out from under it.

hope this help...probably more detail than you needed..but hell...whats wrong with detail
good luck

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
I've moved my 150 gallon all glass tanks up and down flights of stairs and around corners with the aid of a refrigerator dolly.
You can rent them for like $10 for a half day.

Strap your tank to that puppy and you're off!
Just make sure you don't strap it too tight or you'll risk popping or stressing the glass.

I've moved the tanks all by myself with this method... and since it's virtually upright, going around corners is a breeze.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
hey dave, that was my old tank your talking about.......

as said, you need alot of guys and pizza to move it.........good luck

·
Registered
415 Posts
where you live my brother and i could move that bad boy NO PROBLEM
lol other than that man some people that can lift well and i hope you can get it into where you wanna put it lol

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Cheap labor is always available. You can often spot illegal alien laborers looking for any kind of work in strip malls esp. in heavily ethnic neighborhoods.

i moved my 135g with me and the guy i bought it from up 1 fight of stairs
was a bitch but we got i moved

i would stet up the stand were u want it because i got my tank and stand in the house said thanks to the guy i bought it from, then set everything up and realized i could not get the tank from the floor and put it on the stand. i had to call a buddy to come over and help

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
hey dave, that was my old tank your talking about.......:rasp:

as said, you need alot of guys and pizza to move it.........good luck
Yes sir...
Your old tank is one of the 150 gallon ones I'm refering to!

Yeah, it takes more than one person to get it onto the dolly, but once it's there... it's a breeze to move until you need to take it off the dolly again.

The dolly is merely an easy way to "Move" it, but you still have to deal with the "Lifting" aspects.

THAT'S where the guys and pizza (or beer) come in handy.

·
Breaki'n all day...
4,413 Posts
I have a 180g too...It's all glass and your'e right, it does weigh a ton!

I used 3 guys all together to move mine(including me)

4 guys would have been ideal but I didn't have 4 guys..
Just be careful with it and tell your friends that their lives are depending on that tank, and if they drop it..you'll kill them

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha thanks for all the replies guys. I am gonna get 3 other guys to help me move it. Its not going up any stairs or anything so it shouldnt be too bad. I am thinking about going to a glass store and borrowing some of these bad boys to help out...anyone ever used these?

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
Haha thanks for all the replies guys. I am gonna get 3 other guys to help me move it. Its not going up any stairs or anything so it shouldnt be too bad. I am thinking about going to a glass store and borrowing some of these bad boys to help out...anyone ever used these?
Handles would make it SOOOOOO much easier. I would just be worried that I'd put too much faith in them and they would fail. But with a couple guys and a few of those. I was also gonna suggest some wide rolling carts. If its a smooth walk you could put it on the cart and roll it to the house or door that you're going in thru. this will drop your chances of accidentally dropping it greatly.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I too had that worry...Im going to get 4 guys overall and maybe those handles. I have furniture movers that slide under the corners of heavy furniture to move them around so all I really have to do is get it in the house. Im thinking we wont even need the suction cup movers. Anyways Im gonna just have a go at it. Does anyone know the actual weight of glasscages 180 gallon glass tank?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I too had that worry...Im going to get 4 guys overall and maybe those handles. I have furniture movers that slide under the corners of heavy furniture to move them around so all I really have to do is get it in the house. Im thinking we wont even need the suction cup movers. Anyways Im gonna just have a go at it. Does anyone know the actual weight of glasscages 180 gallon glass tank?
Im thinking somewhere around 350-400 lbs?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts