Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Piranha Expert
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i remember the fist day i got my piranha. i remember like it was yesterday. i was 12 and a half years old. and my cousins fience was telling me how he had a 40gal with 6 reds and they call killed eachother and how the last one grew to be 10". he told me stories on how his friends stuck his hands in the tank and got bit. and i was like "sweet i got to get in on this" so i went around to all the fish stores with a guy who lived next door. and we couldnt find one. we eventualy found a store that had them at dime size. when i saw them i was like "damn that is small!" i was kinda dissapointed. i got a little 5gal brought him home for $14.99 canadian and got some fish pellets that came with him. i bought a small commet gold fish and put him in with the piranha. and the commet chased around the piranha. i was like damn this fish sucks ass. he got bigger and my moms friend had a 20gal in her basement that she gave me. when she brought it over i was like.. nice. so i put him in the 20gal. he got bigger. my mom got me a 65gal and i bought 2 11" reds and 1 12" red. the tank wasnt cycled enough and the amonia and nitrate levals hit the roof the week the tank was set up. the fish were gasping for air. i went nutz trying to find out what went wrong. the p's died. i still had the 6" in the 20 gal tho. he was my fav. i sold my paintball gun (spyder) and got a 90gal i found 9" p's there were 6 of them. they all died cause i went to niagra falls with out feeding them.i came home and there were only 3 left. i had put my 6" guy in the 90gal. he also got eaten
. there were 3 left. so i moved them to my 40gal i got from a fish store that shut down. i went to big als and bought 8 1" reds. that grew to me 5" i sold the 90gal and got my 180 GALLON BAD BOY! (just got it a week before christmas). i put the 8 reds in the 180gal with 6 other reds. i had the p's for a little bit. i sold them and traded them for larger reds. i now have 8 7"-10" reds in the 180 gal and some spare tanks im going to use to collect other species once i find them.

and thats how i got into piranhas! :rockin:

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Well I had a 20" red devil that broke my tank, so when I got a new tank I went looking for new pets, I seen them at my LFS and bought 15 baby red belly's to go in my 55gal. this was about 12 years ago, when I was 10. Just like them so when I moved I got rid of them, I moved like 6 times in the last 5 years so, I could never have a tank, but when I bought this house I said im buying a huge tank this time. I started with a 90g and then got my 55g then bought my 240 and 30 and got rid of my 90g and have then since had one black rhom, a white p, Golds and now my red's. then came the snake head. lol ]

·
Registered
698 Posts
Got mine first one from a neighbor who kept losing piranhas. His wife told him THAT's IT! So he came over and brought over 3 natt's, that later spawned a year down the road. Then got more from opefe last month. We even ate a pacu that was raised and drug free that Frank kept for that purpose. Damn thing was almost a foot and half long!!! Flesh was kind of greasy but good. He bbq'd the thing like salmon. I thought he was kidding when I went over

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well, it all started when my son won a gold fish at the fair
So, I had to get a tank...a 5 gal for the dirty [email protected] So, of course we had to add some other fish. Cant remember, but at some point we threw in 2 tiny Ps. Tank went bad once and the P's were all that were left standing. Added more fish (10 g at this point), and at some point filter stopped working, water went bad oxy low (no bubbles), and everything died.......except those damn Ps. So, said screw it and just got some more Ps.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Well fer me it all started when i started the fall term of school last year.
I thought it would be fun to have a Piranha in School so we went an bought one and a aquarium( at the time my mom hated piranhas) anyway he turned out to be a real fraidycat and we thought that the kids probally would scare it to death so i never took it to school, and now ive had him ever since and he is alive and healty.(my mom now thinks he is cute :laughlong: )

·
Registered
104 Posts
i got into piranhas when i was five and my love for them has grew my mom and me are going to get a 45g and some 5 reds or a marine reef tank Its her choise not mine seeing as she pais for it but i dont want anyone slagging her off okay!!!
i also have written a book on fishkeeping (well writeng it now)
ime adding piranha page in it in the future!!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've always wanted piranhas since I was very small, but when I lived at Kodiak Island (350 miles south of anchorage) the fish store was unable to get any. I new about red bellys but I wanted the real piranhas(caribe). When I finally moved up here I bought 5 red bellys. After doing some research trying to find a seller that has caribe I finally bought some. And here I am.

G

·
i always wanted one ever since I saw them on tv but i knew they were illegal in california... so i never really thought much of getting them but, when i came to this pet store to buy myself another australian arrowana i was like what kind of pacu is this and his was like... that's a red belly piranha and i was like no, really?! he was like yes it is... and i didn't believe him but my friend tony convinced me to buy one and then later on i bought 4 more...

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
i was looking to but a tank a few years ago and one came up cheap but had 4 reds so i checked up on p's as i have kept fish before and bought it ,i sold those 4 to buy some better specimens (they lacked colour ) and have owned p's ever since

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
I bought ten dime size rbp when i was seventeen and kept them in a ten gallon.i threw in feeders that were bigger then they were it was a riot watching them chase them; i loved it.but the water changes and the testing kits were just not that cool. i guess at that time i was just not ready.so i gave them to my sister. there was only seven left after three weeks.but now im starting fresh and i love it it's so much funner with this website :rockin:

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Hmm.. I just turned 36. I got my first piranha (redbelly of course) at 13 or so. At 18 I worked at a tropical fish whole sale ware house and brought home my first serrasalmus species. Looking back I think it was a rhom. It died quickly due to my lack of knowledge and poor filtration I'm sure.

The rest is history....

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
mine was a rescue mission.... seeing as how i am a cichlid fanatic ... but this guy needed the rescue... would have died otherwise ... but also seen other peeps P's and decided they were an interesting fish to learn about and understand, now I am personally experiencing the P.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.