Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know ppl are always saying like minimum 75 gallon for a 6-10" and over 10 like a 125 gallon.

why? they dont move haha. from what i have seen everytime i go to my lfs the rhoms are sitting in the exact same spot, even if there is a feeder in the tank, they dont eat infront of people. very similar to how my spilo used to act.

why couldnt a rhom live in say a 50 gallon aqurium until he is like 10" i honestly dont see a problem with that so long as you have a decent powerhead and a good 8-10X turnover for filtration?

do they ever begin to move? ive heard it takes a year, or sometimes they never do interact with the keeper, why are people so keen on keeping these fish captive?

i agree the rhom is one of the nicest looking fish i have ever seen, but are rediculously boring from what i have seen.

thoughts?

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
the answer your question, rhom in petstore are different from rhom that people own at home.

Rhom in petstore their ONLY keep it there for temp. thier may but a big or small rhom in such a small tank, so that why their dont move or eat in front of you.

Once the rhom in a BIG tank, let say 8-10" in 75g+...It been in the tank for a long time, it got use to the envoriment and tank. Rhom can become aggressive and will eat in front of you it just a matter of time.

Rhom or all other fish need big tank? the bigger tank the better, so their have room to swim, set their territorial, hiding spot, decoration, plants, driftwood, etc...IMO

·
Registered
424 Posts
The reason they need a big tank is so that they can grow to there true potential.

Like how many people's roms have chimples, this is associated with the rhom rubbing against objects more than likely in a tank that is too small.

·
КГБ
6,206 Posts
when they come around you will want the tank space i moved mine finaly into a larger home and he does not stop swimming or eating he even eats pellets when i gold them a bit in the water (he sucks them in, not chews so my fingers are fine :laugh: )

they are also very personable i find my hrhom get into moods where he wont eat and will sulk in a corner or will put on a show and seem happy kinda like a oscar but it takes time :nod:

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
IMO it mostly depends on which part of the world you live in. In North America, I have noticed that most hobbyists go large on tanks. In Asia, hobbyists have a different approach in fish keeping. They may have large tanks, but then again, the large tanks are usually "crowded" by North American hobbyists' standards but the fishes do fine. People here will tell you that you can never keep an aro in a 50 gal for life but I have seen it been done time and time again. And the argument may go the way of "It will never grow to it's full potential..." or that " It is cruel and poor fish keeping ethics to not let it have swimming space,etc." but again, what's not acceptable here is not exactly the case in other parts of the world.

·
Registered
193 Posts
RHoms are only boaring for the first couple weeks untile they get hungry and then WARNING they will ATTACK!!!
Fingers do look like silver sides ;-)

May take as much as a month or 2 for them to come out of their shell and get used to their new home...
Just dont disturb the tanks environments and the rhom (same with most serras) will begin to eat..
My rhoms and brantti tanks go nutsooo when they see ppl. Also coast me alot of broken heaters, no small tanks either.. Unless 80g's are small to anyone...
:)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
how about 10 months?... and counting^
maybe yoyur fish is semi retarted :rasp:
mine rhom is very active and uses EVERY inch of his 100g
would like a 180 to keep him in

would be just like a dog, u don't have to take him on walks but they love it.
you can keep a rhom in a 55g for life but would he be happy?
i plan on keeping my gold diamond for 20years+, there is no reason not to buy a big tank for him

·
My Rhom could kick your Rhom's ass!
4,697 Posts
he may be retarded? obviously he cant put two and two together--- he sees me drop food in his tank and then goes over and eats it within a few minutes.... but yet hes terrified of me- doesnt make sense! he should be associating me with food- so yes he may be retarded-

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
TIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TIMMY???????
TIMMMMMMMMY..........

hahahahahahahhahahaha

how long are you going to hold out KOK

·
Registered
441 Posts
he may be retarded? obviously he cant put two and two together--- he sees me drop food in his tank and then goes over and eats it within a few minutes.... but yet hes terrified of me- doesnt make sense! he should be associating me with food- so yes he may be retarded-
Dude don't worry just give another 10 months im sure he will come around

·
My Rhom could kick your Rhom's ass!
4,697 Posts
well in reality he has come a LONG ways since the day i got him--- I am pretty confident he will turn the corner- its just a matter of "when" and if im gonna wait for that time to occur... we shall see-

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
well in reality he has come a LONG ways since the day i got him--- I am pretty confident he will turn the corner- its just a matter of "when" and if im gonna wait for that time to occur... we shall see-
Fish have their own timetable and personalities. I've seen long term captives that never get over their shyness and some that are never shy, seen some that just when you're about to give up all of a sudden come out of thier shell and some that all of a sudden get a case of the "shys" and hide out for months. It's part of what makes rhoms so interesting and frustrating at the same time. Good luck and I hope someday soon your patience pays off because your fish is an outstanding speciman.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.