Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im washing my substrate and its taking forever. I have soilmaster select and i washed a quart of it for an hour and its still not completely clean. How clear should the water be when washing this stuff? THanks a ton

·
Registered
841 Posts
i just normally use a python filter to lean my gravel and when i deep clean it all i do is soak it in boiling water, simple................
Hes talking about rinsing new substrate.

Truthfully I cant help you. Ive never used the Soilmaster stuff. But in my expierence with sand your better off to spend more time now than battle it later. I had some issues with cloudiness from some caribesea product, everytime I did a water change it got all cloudy again. After about a year it stopped doing it.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks for the help....im washing each quart a lot but if I take my hand and swirl it really hard then its like i havent even washed it. Thanks for the heads up though on better now than later.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
i was in your postition man when i was adding playground gravel to my old 35g.....keep doing what your doing....rinse a quart(such as in your case) for atleast 20 min...it will always look like its not clean....you will never get it 10000% clean anyways....aslong as most of the crap has floated out, dump it in your tank, sure it will look a bit murky, but with the way your doign it, all the heavy crap will sink quickly, and you'll just have to let things settle, then whenever you do a gravel vac it will clean up the rest of the stuff....hope that helps a bit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.