Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 5 , 1 inch RBP's in my 35gallon high. I feed them currently half a cube of brine shrimp once a day and they eat it up right away but somtimes theres a bit floating around as it thaws, I dont know if they get it or not. I've read most people feed brine 2-3 times a day to theyre babies but how much per feeding? do you stretch out 1 cube for the period of a day? I know more food means more mess but I want them to grow FAST!!! I have laid off the brine for 3 days now trying to accustom them to fish. the last 2 days I threw in 1 pregnant guppy with the tail chopped off (they lived with guppy's at first and never caught one) both days the guppys got owned real fast, tonite I threw in a pregnant guppy with no tail chop and she's still alive 2 hours later hmm maybe this calls for some more senseless guppy aggression...maybe I'm part piranha! lol

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tonight my girlfriend actually watched "feeding time" and after the usual 1/2 cube she said "look theyre still lookin for more" 2 minutes after it was gone so I threw in a whole cube. they jumped on it, there was excess floatin all over but they killed the cube and than began hunting down every single strand of brine in the tank!! no leftovers but by the time that cube was half done they were fat and I never seen them move so slow, there ribs were stickin out like they were stuffed
and they almost seemed to sink the way they were swimmin but they didnt stop searchin for food till it was gone! who knew!! maybe I should feed like that every couple days

· I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
14,634 Posts
After reading your post, I'd just like to add that feeding your Ps as much as possible WONT help them grow faster, but will help make them more overweight with problems down the line. Most fish usually consume food as much as they're given and worry less about diets. But if you care about the health, certain measures of a timely routine, plus excercise should become a factor. I know seeing the FURY is always interesting to watch, but what good is that if your just planning to wipe them out?

Just look'in out man..

· Registered
162 Posts
I have 4 2 inch rbps and i thaw out 2 frozen bloodworm cubes a day..they eat a cube a feed at 7am and 7pm..and theyve been growing extremely fast!..thaw the cubes out first to prevent fighting over the chunk..it also gives better exersise if they swimm around frantically for the little worms..and assures that all of your p's get a good amount!

· Registered
2,161 Posts
RhomZilla said:
After reading your post, I'd just like to add that feeding your Ps as much as possible WONT help them grow faster, but will help make them more overweight with problems down the line. Most fish usually consume food as much as they're given and worry less about diets. But if you care about the health, certain measures of a timely routine, plus excercise should become a factor. I know seeing the FURY is always interesting to watch, but what good is that if your just planning to wipe them out?

Just look'in out man..

[snapback]870042[/snapback]​
great advice!

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read about people feeding shrimp (prawn) to theyre fish so tonight I was eating a shrimp ring to myself (favorite post workout meal with a 'ting' for a drink) and I threw in a prawn. boy just forget anything I said about wishing they were more agressive. they flew into the soft underside like wolves, thrashing the prawn from one end of the tank to the other. I immeadiatly realized though that the prawn was too big and after half an hour there was little missing from it but theyre bellies were full and they wouldnt stop coming back for more. it was clear when the frenzy stopped yet true as you say they have no limit to eating, after 20 or so minutes I got worried they may die from overeating so I removed it. than I come here tonite to find this. still no body says what is reasonable amount of brine cube for a bunch of young 1 inchers the best is 1.5 and he eats twice as much as the smallest 1 incher so I'm confused. I am trying to feed twice a day now. and I wont feed more than a cube a sitting, I saved 10 prawns for later (very small 4 bucks for a 50 ring) and I think I'l break them into 1/3'rds for feedings. I get what you are saying its variety of foods not the amount of food per serving. I really want to feed flake but I dont have any idea how, cuz right now they dont even watch it fall. they think its algae or somthin. what kinda flake tropical fish flake?

· I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
14,634 Posts
Michaeljames said:
no body says what is reasonable amount of brine cube for a bunch of young 1 inchers
[snapback]871086[/snapback]​
You feed them as much as they can consume, but taken out 5 min after left alone of no interest in the food.

I really want to feed flake but I dont have any idea how, cuz right now they dont even watch it fall. they think its algae or somthin.
Your babies are timid little creatures who would only rather go after food dropped in, rather than go to the surface and explore. Its called instincts knowing its safer to be in water than to wander around looking for food. Basically its really up to you to "train" these guys what you want them to eat and how, as they mature.

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
last night after I got offline, which was about 3 hours after the shrimp'n massacre lol I fed my I.D shark and guppies theyre tropical flake, just for kicks I threw a lil bit in the P tank and they ate it all up so fast you woulda thought they had never ate before. I said they wouldnt eat it cuz I just couldnt imagine it. but they went for it. it''s weird to watch them with a new food for the first time. a single P see's it floating around and he looks stand offish for a second or two even backing up, while the others dont even acknowledge it's presence but the moment that first P takes gets the courage up and advances to take a bite (and the others are always watching each other) that single bite it starts somthing in the tank like...a gun at a track meet. and than theyre all over it like cannibals

· Registered
857 Posts
Michaeljames said:
last night after I got offline, which was about 3 hours after the shrimp'n massacre lol I fed my I.D shark and guppies theyre tropical flake, just for kicks I threw a lil bit in the P tank and they ate it all up so fast you woulda thought they had never ate before. I said they wouldnt eat it cuz I just couldnt imagine it. but they went for it. it''s weird to watch them with a new food for the first time. a single P see's it floating around and he looks stand offish for a second or two even backing up, while the others dont even acknowledge it's presence but the moment that first P takes gets the courage up and advances to take a bite (and the others are always watching each other) that single bite it starts somthing in the tank like...a gun at a track meet. and than theyre all over it like cannibals
[snapback]871449[/snapback]​
Hey man if you can get some healthy cichlid pellets train your P's to eat them... My P's are always so picky about what they eat. But maybe yours won't be.

I heard pellets is the way to go nutritionaly for them.. (And or Earthworms)

· Registered
220 Posts
seems like just yesterday I wasnt too crazy for P's (I've always thought they wernt very attractive) now I cant see having anything else ever again.
I'm learning so much so fast. I'm so thankfull these guys are taking so well to the food experiments. now they dont hesitate on tropical flake,guppies,brine,prawn
I want to try to buy some quality pellet soon. earthworms are always in the fridge since I'm a avid fisherman but its kinda the wrong season for me to have some but for these little buddies, HELL!! EARTHWORMS ON THE HOUSE FOR EVERYBODY!
lol they just take so well to everything. since last night I've fed them some flake for 2 small feedings and than 1/3 of a prawn tonite. tomorrow I'm gonna do 3 feedings for the day of brine in the morn, flake for dinner and brine at late night (theyre not high in carbs are they? joke lol) I've decided to name them, this is somthing very big for me you see because since I was a kid I've never named a single fish, I dont believe in naming an animal that would never know its name.and believe me I've grown very attached to a couple of my previous fish. but these guys are different, the personality just oozes from them in theyre group
cant wait to try different foods from what I've tried already

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.