Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching the tank after puting in some feeders, wondering who who would get the first meal. Well, it wasnt any of the Ps. One feeder got a tail nip, swam into the corner and one of the blue cray fish pounced on it, wrapped it up in its legs, and scales began to fly! I didnt even know they could do that.

Then, after another feeder was going down and just a head was left in the little swarm, getting picked apart, the other blue cray fish storms into the middle of them all (while they are swarming mind you), grabs the head and takes off with it, back into his lair and finishes it off.

And I thought they would only eat debris left by the fish. These guys are tough! Dont know much about them, but when I saw them I had to have them......and glad I did. Very entertaining little bastages.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Dude that rocks! so you recommend getting some crayfish for the tank? I might have to get some to put in my 90. Where did you buy yours? Online or at LFS?

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I can't actially get crayfish here (England)
but I do know they will be most at risk of being eaten when they shed their skin, like crabs.
give them a small hole to hide in during these periods.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got them at a LFS, I THINK he said they were South American, but I dont know much about them other than they are blue. I do have several spots for them to hide, and they have picked little home already: the firt to be snatched was a slate pile with a space inside that my Ps cant get into, the next was 1.5" PVC 45 degree elbow covered in rocks.

My Ps size...well I tried to measure the other day, the best I could guess was 5" for the biggest 3.5" and 2 2.5". They look bigger to me, but that was the best I could do to get a real measurement with them buzzing around

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
last week I saw them on the net and looked into shipping them but it wasn't possable for the guy I wrote to to ship to England

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow, I've lived in FLA almost my entire life (over 20 years in fla)and never saw a single blue crayfish. Been all over the lakes, canals, intercoastal and ocean. Had I ever seen one I would have had some earlier :D Never said they were special, though.
Just a cool blue and a lot more aggressive than the normal red ones I've had before.

And the guy who said they were from where ever he said, also said a clown knife would do good in the same tank.......returned him an hour later after he was quickly swarmed and mauled by everything the tank.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
dang talk about digging deep in the thread....

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
blue crawfish are no different from normal crawfish except they look pretty, but they are quite common nonetheless and they are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced... like $15-20 at my lfses. not worth it at all imo. Plus the dumb things run the risk of getting eaten

·
Registered
219 Posts
ya i love my crayfish, its funny cause people will be sitting down looking at my piranas and all of a sudden they'll see this crazy little blue thing come running out from behind some wood or out of a corner snapping at the piranas. The first time i out him into the tank, i threw in a feeder with him so if the piranas were hungry they would eat the feeder, but as the feeder swam past the lobster he grabbed its tail and took out a nice chunk, he also ripped most the scales off then side.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
the link wont work but I still like your crayfish Innes.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
my crayfish got smoked by my TSN. He deserved it tho. He sliced up one of my baby p's. I shoulda have took him out sooner.

Just so noone asks. It was two different tanks, no I dont have my TSN with my p's.

·
Banned
1,147 Posts
Innes said:
I can't actially get crayfish here (England)
but I do know they will be most at risk of being eaten when they shed their skin, like crabs.
give them a small hole to hide in during these periods.
we can get blue lobsters,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.