Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi,
my phosphates are way to high, i am going to do two water changes twice a week to try and get them down. would it be wise to try a phosphate remover? or are these chemicals bad news for planted tanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i should add that my substate was kinda dirty. i have been cleaning it as best i can with every water change for quite some time. the water from the tap reads less than .5ppm

·
Registered
708 Posts
Plants love phosphate. Mine is constantly at 10ppm or more.

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
I would say just do everything like normal, just don't dose it until it is lower.
I haven't heard many bad things that can happen because of too high phosphates in a planted tank. Just don't dose it

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
yeh. don't douse it till your plants look like they need it or you get GSA.
I've never figured out what PPM thgey are supose to be at. But I try and keep mine at 2ppm. my tank seems to be ok with that.

·
Registered
658 Posts
hi,
my phosphates are way to high, i am going to do two water changes twice a week to try and get them down. would it be wise to try a phosphate remover? or are these chemicals bad news for planted tanks.
so what problem is is causing? brown algae or what?

·
Registered
16 Posts
ya there is some brown algea and the water isn't very clear, not cloudy but it used to look nicer. my test results are over 10ppm don't know exactly because test only measures up to 10ppm (i get a very, very dark blue)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts