Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my new black rhom is constantly hiding behind the largest plant in the tank. i dont think it has even gone to the other side of the tank. why is this? is there anything i can do about it?

·
Registered
652 Posts
give him time man hes probably still a little stressed out and trying to adjusting to his new home. keep the lights off and give him time thats really all you can do he'll come around.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I would not recommend disturbing him by removing decorations nor plants.
The best thing to do is to give him time with probably slightly dimmed lights.

Harry

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
yuppers..he has to get used to his new environment....taking things out and doing a bunch of stuff inside the tank will just stress the rhom out more, and you dont want that...leave the things the way they are, and give him another couple days to come around to his new tank

·
5,336 Posts
and give it another 6 months plus before you actually see it... not to be a pessimist but thats just what i have observed with the 3 i aquired over the last year... tips being: use food to coax him out gradually by placing the food on a string.... start dangling the food near his hidden spot and when he goes for it right off, tie a knot and hold out a 1/2 inch each time you feed untill he will eat almost off the surface in the front of the tank, and stand there too so he associates you with food.... and tip 2: salmon

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
he'll be fine soon enough

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
yup just like everyone said...you only got him for couple days....give him some time to get use to his new home and envoriment. keep feeding him every day even if he dont eat, try to add a power head, dimed your light.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Didn't you just say in another thread that you got him on Saturday? You really need to give him time dude, it could take a month or more before he gets suited into his environment. You just need patience to get through it, and then you should have a nice fish that comes out and explores.

~Taylor~

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Is the tank in a high traffic area? That to will help over time make him less shy around ppl.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I just got a 3" black rhom today and it is doing the same thing, but I am not worried. They need some time before they come out and say hello. Mine currently is hiding in a rock and hasn't come out for 1 hour now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ive had mine since october and he hides everyday hopefully one day he'll get more relaxed and come out when the lights are on. If I didnt tell you he was in my tank you wouldnt even know he was there because the only time he comes out is at night when the tank is completely dark. So i think it's normal.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Leave dim lights on in the tank to get them use to light....Spend as much time near the tank as you can to get them use to people and just give them time.A good number of piranha are shy as juveniles but when they really start to grow and mature that shyness goes away..Patience is a virtue!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well....i had already taken all the plants out before others said no, i left them out for about an hour or 2 then put it back in. now he never hides, he is out and about all the time now. maybe it does work? who knows...hes still a little lentative when im around though.

·
Registered
715 Posts
i have noticed from personal experince that the smaller rhoms are more skittish than the larger ones. just give it time and he should come around.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts