Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for welcome guys...

Yeah...i guess the newbie forum can only be accessed by new users...I have copied the text from there to here...a little intro on me.

Hey all...

Joined today...thought id give a shout out to all fellow P owners.

Ive had my tank (100 litre) for about 10 months now...had all sorts of fish in there from Pangassius shark (grew too big for the tank so had to find a new home for them) to Silver Dollars.

The time was nigh to get my first carnivorous P...and i started with the Gold Piranha. All that is in my tank now (found the other fish new homes) is a Plec (about 8") and a blue lobster (5") which remains pretty much hidden.

Ive had the P for just over 1 week now...it seems to be adapting well...am feeding it frozen mussels and cockels.

Any tips/pointers would be great...i tried to do as much research into this fish as i could before going ahead with the buy!!

Cheers in advance...

Frix

Water Vertebrate Fin Underwater Organism

P.s. Happy new year to you all...

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
Cheers for welcome guys...

Yeah...i guess the newbie forum can only be accessed by new users...I have copied the text from there to here...a little intro on me.

Hey all...

Joined today...thought id give a shout out to all fellow P owners.

Ive had my tank (100 litre) for about 10 months now...had all sorts of fish in there from Pangassius shark (grew too big for the tank so had to find a new home for them) to Silver Dollars.

The time was nigh to get my first carnivorous P...and i started with the Gold Piranha. All that is in my tank now (found the other fish new homes) is a Plec (about 8") and a blue lobster (5") which remains pretty much hidden.

Ive had the P for just over 1 week now...it seems to be adapting well...am feeding it frozen mussels and cockels.

Any tips/pointers would be great...i tried to do as much research into this fish as i could before going ahead with the buy!!

Cheers in advance...

Frix

View attachment 131037

P.s. Happy new year to you all...
Nice fish that mate.

Main thing with P's is keeping on top of your water quality because they are messy fish the water params can quickly take a plunge and then you can start getting diseases, fungus etc. Also Plecs sh*t for england im told so as long as you gravel vac once a week and do 30-40% water changes weekly you cant go far wrong.
Also make sure you remove any uneaten food , because that can f*ck your water quality up quickly too.
Another thing is to clean your filter media out once a month in tank water, cleaning half of it at a time to avoid killing the bacteria in the media.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice fish that mate.

Main thing with P's is keeping on top of your water quality because they are messy fish the water params can quickly take a plunge and then you can start getting diseases, fungus etc. Also Plecs sh*t for england im told so as long as you gravel vac once a week and do 30-40% water changes weekly you cant go far wrong.
Also make sure you remove any uneaten food , because that can f*ck your water quality up quickly too.
Another thing is to clean your filter media out once a month in tank water, cleaning half of it at a time to avoid killing the bacteria in the media.
Cheers...

Wow...weekly water changes!! Wasnt aware of that. And yeah...ive noticed a lot more [email protected] in the tank.

Funny how u mention it...but there has been a very small "growth" on the P's chin...it is probably not visible in the pic above. Will a water change and a gravel vac get rid of this??

Stupid question>> Wheres the best place to buy one of these gravel vacs?? I havent actually done it before!!

Cheers for the advice matey...newbie needs it..!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Sounds like hes bumped his chin on the glass , they do that from time to time, usually when theyre spooked and freak out. Nothing to worry about usually they will disappear in a week or so.
You can get a gravel vac from any aquatics shop, or petsathome/petsmart. Its just a plastic cylinder that comes with a hose and you start a siphon with it, and it sucks up the crap off the bottom of the tank, I usually ditch the hose you get with it and use normal garden hose, its more flexible.
What you should also do mate is get yourself some fish meds to keep handy in case it does come down with something, you should reallly keep some Aquarium salt, Melafix and I have always used Myxazin on my Piranhas it has worked every time.
Any more questions just post em up and someone will usually answer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
hey frix, not much to add really about caring for your p except i.ll just say that recently the species you have there was re-classified as Serrasalmus Maculatus by our resident expert Hastatus(Frank). Nice fish though

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey frix, not much to add really about caring for your p except i.ll just say that recently the species you have there was re-classified as Serrasalmus Maculatus by our resident expert Hastatus(Frank). Nice fish though
Cheers Tony,

Over the last week I made some enquiries about gravel vacs etc...one of the head guys at Wildwoods (Enfield) said that due to my tank being only 100litres...a power filter would be a better solution to clean the excess waste off the gravel.

I placed this power filter opposite to the exisitng internal filter and have noticed immediate results...the water seems a lot cleaner. There is now a continuous flow of water anti-clockwise going through both filters. V good me thinks.

Thanks for all the info guys...

·
Registered
972 Posts
still a good idea to do water changes with gravel vac , ull see for youself how much waste builds up in gravel after a while , theres a little shop near wildwoods that sometimes has rare piranha species in, cant remember the name , but instead of turning left down the long road leading from the a10, to wildwoods, turn right, before the bend turn right again where enfield reptiles is and its in corner of car park

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.