Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
itspretty high and i hear the higher it is-... well read it yourself:

http://www.piranha-fury.com/forum/pfury/in...t=ST&f=16&t=421

anyways, i was curios how to add soft water, i mean i cant get any softer than tap water, right? what about rain water? what if i throw out a rain barrel out side and collect rain? it has very low hardness. same with the dehumidifier water in my house.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I don't know if you live in a city, but if so, I'd be concerned about rain water pollution. I guess you don't want to fill up your piranha tank with acid rain (although it does lower the pH...
), toxins, etc...
But other than that, I foresee no trouble.

A good alternative to drop the pH is filtering over peat, or using black water extract. But messing around with the pH can be tricky, and pH swings are more harm- and stressful to fish than a slightly higher pH.
I think there's a number of people on this board that use water with a similar (or even higher) pH, and they don't seem to have any trouble...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I use my water for my p's strait from my tap and it is at 7.4-7.6 and my p's are fine! It is hard well water buffered from limestone.

One good thing about having really hard water is that your ph will not jump around because it is buffered so well!

I tried lowering my ph/hardness but decided that a stable higher ph was better for my fish overall!

Never had a problem!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts