Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just bought a new 55 gallon for my 6" and 2, 4" reds. I got the tank all set up but I left out gravel since I'll be moving on Aug. 1st. I was told that bare glass would be fine by my LFS.

My 6" one is going nuts and flying around the bottom of the glass to the point that he's injuring himself. Is it the lack of gravel or new surroundings? They've got cover in the form of a moon rock looking aquarium decoration, the temp and ph are also good. Does anyone know what's causing this? I plan on going ahead and adding gravel this weekend, maybe that will stop him. He's been with me for awhile and I'd hate to loose him. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. :sad:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I do need to get more cover for him. Do live plants work good, or are the plastic decor kind better? Since I have 3 in a 55 gallon, I have to admit I went easy on the plants and cover thinking they'd rather have the extra room to swim. But I'm learning that they aren't that active anyway, and I want them to live long happy lives so I'll be sure and add more plants and cover.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
you definately need gravel some p's hate to see their reflection in the bottom of the tank and i have had experience of this, thats why it is going nuts krswop1 is right and put some other decor in as well like plants and bogwood but get gravel asap
dixon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know that I fixed the problem. I put 50 pounds of gravel in and added some rocks and plants, as well as a pottery decoration. They seem to love it! Nice red bellies, active, and not as jumpy. I'll try and attach a pic. They're a little camera shy, but you can spot my big one by the pot in the center.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way, any and all suggestions on my tank is appreciated. If it looks cramped with too much stuff, or still needs more, please let me know. I'm trying to give them the best environment I can.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Your tank looks good, I like how the gravel is...very natrual. But the pot thingy has quite a few sharp edges. Might wanna take it out if your Ps begin to bump into it.

I keep all my tanks with no gravels. Yes, when they first go into the tank they would go nuts seeing their own reflection. You can try turning off the lights completely for the first 3 days, leaving only room lights on.

You can also try putting a few decor on the bottom. Just make sure nothing sharp in their way.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
KRSwop1 said:
It's because he sees his reflection below him. gravel should fix it.
i dont think that fish can see their reflection in the bottom of the tank. the only reason you see a reflection is because you are looking through 2 pieces of glass. if u look straight down from the top of your tank there is no reflection.

they may see a lil reflection just because of the pure fact that it is glass, but not the mirror affect that you see as you look from the outside in.

that's just my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts