Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, heres the deal, I just bought two more piranhas and put them in with my other, larger piranhas to get them used to being around each other before I put them in the new, bigger tank. I just noticed last night that one of the smaller, new ones has little white spots all over him when you turn off the room lights and leave the flourescent one on. It looks like salt.

The one that's sick isnt growing as fast as the other one. Around his pupil is a more whitish, greyish, color than the others. It isnt as aggressive towards food I put in the tank. He also turns and scratches his side off the gravel and kinda stays off to the side by himself.

I put some API Super Ich Cure in last night, it said to take the carbon out of your filter so I ripped the filter off and took the carbon out, replacing it when i was done. I dunno if I should have done that because now I am going to have to replace the filter, how can I do this without losing all my good bacteria?

PLEASE HELP!

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
Well what kind of filter do you have? removing the carbon filled filter pad shouldn't hurt your bact colony. After all what would you do everymonth when the thin needs to be changed anyhow?

As to the ICH. Treat the tank with salt. 1tbl spoon per 5 gal. And raise the temp of the tank to 84-86 deg.

in a week it should clear up. Keep that carbon out of the mix for right now. and maybe even hit the tank with the rid Ich stuff again.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Bio-wheel. So you should change your filter pad monthly? I thought you would lose all the bacteria from it when you replace the pad? I used to replace it, then got on here and was told not to change it out?? But now i have to since the carbon is out of it, it needs a new one, and I am going to put it in i guess after this ich treatment is taken out.

I will try to add salt and turn up the temp a little. Any more suggestions?

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
If you plan on eradicating ich with salt you need 1 teaspoon per every gallon every day for 3 days and then leave the tank alone for 2 weeks at slowly elevated temperatures. Read the pinned article on salt. I just simplified it for you for treating ich. However some people use salt so much that some parasites actually become resistant to salt forcing people to either increase to 0.6% salinity compared to 0.3%. Alot safer than meds though.

·
Registered
775 Posts
1 teaspoon per gallon? that seems like alot, plus I have already previously added salt to the tank, and the meds are already in it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
yeah man i had some fish that got ich once....keep your light off in the tank...ich cant reproduce and get to a host...1tsp of salt per 5 gallons...hgiher temps 84-86......definetly get them some medicine and fast...by the time i realized my old fish had it it was too late...i think it was from the tank not cycled long enough of from feeders from the LFS.....bastards

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the one little guy is WAY darker than the other ps... anyone know why?

Also, he has white stuff either shedding off of him or crusting on him, one or the other. I know this is worthless without pics but my camera wont take a good picture of them at all.

Also, what does a white covering over the eyes mean? Internal parasites? My fish are sick, and they can't die.. what are these signs of? do they really have ich or what?

Oh and the little dark sick one just sits on the bottom in a corner and doesnt move, with all his white crusty stuff over him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts