Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sold this Piranha, and bought it expecting it to be a Rhom. I'm not quite convinced that I got my moneys worth.
Could anyone please give me some expert advise as to what species this is.

The Piranha is roughly 3.5"

·
Registered
696 Posts
spilo cf

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
This species belongs to the Spilopleura-complex, and science still has to determine wheter S. Maculatus is in reality a seperate species or a sub-species of S. Spilopleura. Some scientists and hobbyists refer to this fis as S. Spilopleura CF (Complex Form).

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
chucky_911 said:
I paid $30, and since everyone claims that its a Spilo CF
am I able to have more than one in a tank?
i heard of shoaling spilo's if the tank is large enough
ask insuasian he has 9 spilo's in a 180
used to have 10 but one got taken out

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
oburi Posted on Aug 11 2003, 09:26 PM
spilo cf...
i bought one recently...
http://pics.montypics.com/oburi/2003-07-10...65_IM000531.jpg
i got screwed by an lfs saying it was a "black piranha", i paid $22 usd. mine is also tailess
For whatever it is worth, don't ever consider yourself screwed. Some of the most unique fish are bought that way. This fish (in time) will have a distinct name placed on it. Consider the fact that you may have another species though it doesn't seem important now.

·
Registered
539 Posts
that is some good insight frank, thanks i didnt really look at it that way, im happy with my fish and he is getting more active especially at night, but i had to make a LONG drive out of town to get him and when i got him i was expecting a rhom. thats what i meant by screwed by it being mislabled or miscommunicated.

Oburi

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
oburi Posted on Aug 11 2003, 10:28 PM
that is some good insight frank, thanks i didnt really look at it that way, im happy with my fish and he is getting more active especially at night, but i had to make a LONG drive out of town to get him and when i got him i was expecting a rhom. thats what i meant by screwed by it being mislabled or miscommunicated
Completely understand, been there myself a few times. Ultimately found some rather unique fishes on "wasted" trips.

·
Registered
539 Posts
that is true alot of these threads where people get mislabled fish turn out being more rare or exotic species, but sometimes not. im sure on one of your trips it be amazing to see wild p's and catch or fish for them.

Oburi

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.