Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A small worn like creature is crawling allover my polyps, what could it be? I cant provide a picture because it is so small even if take a pic it cannot be seen in a picture but all can say is It is like a small worm..

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,146 Posts
sounds like a bristleworm.bristleworms usually hitch-hike there way into your tank via liverock or livesand

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
chances are is if u have a bristle worm that is brave enuff to come out and walk around all the time u may have more than one they usually hide there is some debate as to wether they are reef safe i ahve a bunch in my tank and never notice any damage to any of my corals and its all softies ubt if u feel it necessary to remove u can buy bristleworm traps

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Or if you want one a coral banded shrimp will munch them down.
There are only a handfull out of a ton of them that will do damage to corals. They only pose a threat to your fingers if you touch them.

·
Registered
484 Posts
yes you can buy traps or make one yourself: (take plastic pipe drill some small holes on pipe's side and put some piece of fish/shrimp/squid/mussel inside, works like charm), on the other hand bristleworm paranoids should think about natural predation (marine beta, stenopus.sp , arrow crabs and others) cause these worms reproduce remarkably well in our systems and all systems with live rocks probably have them.

maybe it is good to mention that most brittle worms are harmless to live stock but well desired scavangers that should be pat of the the cleaning crew.. There are however couple of predatory species (species that grow large can eventually cause danger to desirable live stock..)

do not try to catch them with bare hand...................

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
They have bristols that will break off into your hand, and hurt.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Sounds like a bristel worm as mentioned above. I actually introduced some to my tank intentionally as they are great for cleaning up detrius. :D The smaller bristel worms may not hurt you, but the big ones definetly will. Just avoid touching them as mentioned above. If you have some in your tank and know it, be careful when picking up LR because you may grab one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts