Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Breaki'n all day...
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone

when i am done school for the summer this April i plan on building a bigger tank for my reds and also so i can get more of them. i want to build a 100 or 120 gallon.

but i live in a townhouse when i am school and my room is on the top floor of the house....assuming that watter weighs 10-12lbs per gallon i calculated this out to weigh 1440 lbs. this is not including the weight of the stand and all equpiment and sand in the tank.

obviously my question is :Is My Tank Going Through The Floor Or Not?
anyone who may know or has experience in this kind of situation, i would really appreciate your input, and everyones comments and opinions are very welcomed

Thanks!

· Registered
480 Posts
Also keep in mind the age of the house. The older it is, the less advisable putting a lot of weight on the top floor.

· Peace....Through Superior Firepower
10,552 Posts
acidWarp said:
Also keep in mind the age of the house. The older it is, the less advisable putting a lot of weight on the top floor.
[snapback]873223[/snapback]​
Yes ......Acid is correct

My house is Brand New ...

· Breaki'n all day...
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MR HARLEY said:
Hey Sheppard,
Got 3 tanks In a room upstairs in my house ....(210), (135) (135), and nothing has fell through yet..:laugh:
Just put it against a load bearing wall and you should be straight ...

[snapback]873193[/snapback]​
thanks alot guys
this house is relativley new, only afew years old.
HARLEY, you said a "load bearing" wall. what is that?

Thanks

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
Sheppard said:
thanks alot guys
this house is relativley new, only afew years old.
HARLEY, you said a "load bearing" wall. what is that?

Thanks

[snapback]873240[/snapback]​
It's a wall that supports the weight of the house. When in doubt, just use an outside wall as that area is going to be very strong.

And the weight isn't as bad as you think, I believe it's 8 pounds per gallon of water, not 10-12. The 10 pounds per gallon I think is just to give a better estimate for factoring in tank weight, stand, gravel and all that

· Breaki'n all day...
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
elTwitcho said:
It's a wall that supports the weight of the house. When in doubt, just use an outside wall as that area is going to be very strong.

And the weight isn't as bad as you think, I believe it's 8 pounds per gallon of water, not 10-12. The 10 pounds per gallon I think is just to give a better estimate for factoring in tank weight, stand, gravel and all that
[snapback]873278[/snapback]​
thanks alot!
i wasn't sure if i should build this tank or not because i didn't know if the weaight would be an issue. but i think i am in the clear now and it should be fine.
thanks alot

· Peace....Through Superior Firepower
10,552 Posts
elTwitcho said:

[snapback]873278[/snapback]​

· Registered
669 Posts
I wouldn't bet on newer construction being stronger than older construction. If the old house doesn't have any water or insect damage, it could well be alot stronger. As time goes on the trend for building has become to build the minimum to fit peoples needs. The floor joists on the second floor in a house can handle a load of about 40lbs/Foot^2. Now that's an average Mean load. So if you are in the center of the floor you are at a far weaker point than the wall. It's also not the maximum weight. It's like if you go to the gym and pick up the 30's and curl the effortlessly. Then you pick up the 50's and can get a rep up but then have to put the weight down so you don't hurt yourself :rasp: As Mr. Harley pointed out going over a load bearing wall will help you quite a bit. If you ever build a home and you know the room you are going to put your fish tanks, you go with 2-Ply Joists. That way you can have whatever you want and be worry free.

If you put the Tank where Mr. Harley recommended the first site of structual problems will come with the drywall cracking up. If your drywall cracks then it would be wise to consider another location.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.