Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here they are they arent the best quality.
i have named my fish in hopes of making it easier to explain what are boys and what are girls.

heres how they act in the tank: Stingy is the meanine who chases everyone around - the other 2 jags are in hiding spots in the corners.
But when the other 2 jags meet - named: Flair and Baby Jag - Flair flairs his/her gills out and sort of goes face to face with baby jag. im not sure waht this means, but that is how they act.

here are pictures: thanks for any help - excuse the quality, its HARD to get good pictures close up

This is fish 1) STingy

This is Fish 2) Flair with stingy behind

This is FIsh 2) Flair

This is Fish 3) Baby Jag in the middle here

And just some other tank shots:

Heres Red Tail..haha

whole tank:

whole tank:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Too hard for me to tell from the pics/small size. It will become more apparent as they grow, but I will agree with BS's id. I actually thought they all might be males but we'll see.
Hey i really apreciate you editing the picture and uploading tags - thats perfect. cheers

just wondering though, what are the features that you are looking for when sexing these fish? like colourations and markings, and size and fins etc..

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
Jags will go thru 2 phases of maturity. the first is when they change from that drab grey color they are born with and take on the goldengreeinsh look. At this point you can pretty reliably sex them by their chin markings. Males will have spots in the throat/jaw area where Females will not. This change come about at the 2-3" size.

The second phase is maturity. At around 7" males will take on a redish green gold irridecent tint and darken. It is this point when they also become sexually mature.
Females will stay the same dull greenishgold color.
Females will max out size in the 7-9" range where males will continue on to the 12-15" area. Males also tend to have a more pronounced Jaw.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jags will go thru 2 phases of maturity. the first is when they change from that drab grey color they are born with and take on the goldengreeinsh look. At this point you can pretty reliably sex them by their chin markings. Males will have spots in the throat/jaw area where Females will not. This change come about at the 2-3" size.

The second phase is maturity. At around 7" males will take on a redish green gold irridecent tint and darken. It is this point when they also become sexually mature.
Females will stay the same dull greenishgold color.
Females will max out size in the 7-9" range where males will continue on to the 12-15" area. Males also tend to have a more pronounced Jaw.
Thanks for the detailed description here - thats awesome - i'm going to go stare at my fish now.

·
^word
4,323 Posts
Yep, BS hit the nail on the head there.

Glad to see that you are a resposible fish keeper and followed the educated advice people gave you about the red tail catfish. Show us a pic of your tank in 6 months. I guarentee that fish will have eaten everything else and will double in size.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Glad to see that you are a resposible fish keeper and followed the educated advice people gave you about the red tail catfish. Show us a pic of your tank in 6 months. I guarentee that fish will have eaten everything else and will double in size.
I was gonna say something but figured he'll learn soon enough. Just wish he would have listened...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks for the sarcasm -

·
^word
4,323 Posts

Thanks for the sarcasm -
Yeah, that last sentance is not sarcasm. I do not see where you think you know the answer when GT45, BS, and I have over 10000 posts of pure knowledge, compared to your limited weeks of fish keeping? One thing you will soon learn is to learn from others mistakes. People have tried the same mix (anything with an RTC/RTC in anything less that 600g) and have failed. Talk to an old school member called Mauls. He had a Semi-aggressive 125 community that was well stocked. His RTC grew 4" a month, and at every other fish in the tank if I remember right.

GT45, thats what I figure, somethings are better off learned thru failure. Thats how I learned. As a noob, I thought I would be able to keep 4 Red Bellies and a Pacu in my 45.

/ends rant against ignorant noobs

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks for the sarcasm -
Yeah, that last sentance is not sarcasm. I do not see where you think you know the answer when GT45, BS, and I have over 10000 posts of pure knowledge, compared to your limited weeks of fish keeping? One thing you will soon learn is to learn from others mistakes. People have tried the same mix (anything with an RTC/RTC in anything less that 600g) and have failed. Talk to an old school member called Mauls. He had a Semi-aggressive 125 community that was well stocked. His RTC grew 4" a month, and at every other fish in the tank if I remember right.

GT45, thats what I figure, somethings are better off learned thru failure. Thats how I learned. As a noob, I thought I would be able to keep 4 Red Bellies and a Pacu in my 45.

[/quote]

Fair enough - thats fair to say. i've been keeping fish now for over 5 years. but this is my first time with CA Cichlids.
i saw the RTC and though he looked cool and would be a nice edition. weather or not he stays in my tank or not thats a different story all together.
if i grow him up for ayear all healthy, i had my fun and i'ld be glad to pass him along..

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

Basically yes. Sucks though that good fish have to die to noob mistakes. Some warned against and some dieing of inexperianced bad luck. Nothing is ever better learned through failure as that's the hardest way to learn but when someone doesn't want to take advice then that's the only way to learn.

The rtc was a very bad move, and it seems like they're getting more popular in a way. They're cute when small but grow fast and are very predatory. Possibly even eating your jags on the way through adulthood. Maybe we should dig up some RTC pics to show.

http://www.acuteangling.com/Catfish/catback2.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya, i know what they are all about.
but when it comes down to it, we are all keeping wild animals, some captivity bred, some are taken from their natural habitat for us to keep as a hobby..thats not exactly fair in itself but everyone does it.

i dont intend to ever hurt my fish, i take very good care of all my tanks. im not a noon but im no way super experienced neither.

the way i see it, is im going to look after this fish until he gets "big" either upgrade tank - maybe put him in a pond in the summer time...

im keeping him for a while here, if he gets too big./out of control i will find a home. im going to be giving this fish a good start at life.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Eventually there may be no home for the RTC.

I think that buying fish that shouldn't be sold supports the continued sale of such fish. Pacus, RTC, even arowana and especially colored/dyed fish just need to stop being sold (or bought).

anyhow, good sexing of the jags BS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.