Piranhas Forum banner

help! quick question

694 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr. Hannibal 
#1 ·
NEED HELP QUICKLY ok i posted before about my baby piranha they are totally going after him and hes totally messed up now .. idunno he has a chunk missing from his front face near his left noise and eye seems like his eye could be screwed up but not sure.. he has no tail right now like its almost gone they totally took a chunk out of him and i 'm wondering if i could put him in a tank i just setup right now i just put in tons of stress coat and salt, and cycle stuff but i mean if i go to sleep tonight he will be dead tommorw cuz they are going after him like a golf fish.. so anyway i could just throw him in the 25 gal tank and hope that the chlornine and everythings settled? .. it has no gravel.. and i'm not sure if the heaters working cuz the light isn't going on @ all.. i need some help anyone still awake ! !

See less See more
#4 ·
how much smaller is the one that is getting picked on ? If he is a significant amount smaller then I would fear for him because the others may just pick him off because of his size. If he is around thier size I would say that he would be able to fend for himself. If you want to take a chance leave him in their and let him defend himself. It may be the only way to get the other P's to stop pushing him around, because the bigger P's are probably just doing it as show of dominance towards the smaller P. To show him who or who's boss of the tank.

#5 ·
heres what I would do, seprate the tank into a little isolated section for the hurt one or take gravel from that same tank and put some in the hospital tank, old filter cartriges will help a lot also. this way it should cycle very quickly and have as little stress on the piranha as posible. stress coat and cycle arnt nessary, and havent even been proven to do what they claim.but aquarium salt will heal wounds nicely, just follow the directions.

#8 ·
nitrofish said:
heres what I would do, seprate the tank into a little isolated section for the hurt one or take gravel from that same tank and put some in the hospital tank, old filter cartriges will help a lot also. this way it should cycle very quickly and have as little stress on the piranha as posible. stress coat and cycle arnt nessary, and havent even been proven to do what they claim.but aquarium salt will heal wounds nicely, just follow the directions.
good advice
TAKE IT

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
JesseD said:
nitrofish said:
good advice
TAKE IT
Ditto on this one..

How small exactly is the RB? If worse comes to worse.. you can always put him in a plastic container, cover the top or opening with a net or pantyhose, and secure tightly with a rubberband or string. Placed in the same tank for the meantime until you think your other tank is safe enough

#10 ·
Johnpe123 said:
ok .. hes really small hes about a silver dollor the other fish are 1.5 inchs at the most.. ok i'm going to throw him in the other tank .. do i really need the gravel? i put in some aquarium salt but i dont have directions ;/
the more gravel from an established tank the better. it will reduce the massive buildup of ammonia during the cycleing process by useing the bacteria already in the gravel to break down toxins. another thing to do is once you remove the piranha keep 1 or 2 goldfish in the hospital tank to keep it cycled, otherwize you will have to cycle it again and that just adds more stress to the already sick fish.

#11 ·
ok thanks for the help i added some gravel last night as much as i could but not alot.. just a thin thin layer to cover the surface.. hes swimming around ok.. not much. but more than usual i put a rock in there for him to hide in but he made it through the night! so i guess he should be ok.. wut do i need i very little salt left. its just normal aquiriam salt .. do i just add some in there every other day? i took out the powerhead i think it annoyed him.. should i get some gold fish? big ones? this guy is mean .. hes meaner than my other bigger p's and i can't believe he wasnt fighitng back.. my biggest red belly about 1.5 inchs the first day i put this baby in the tank with him he went up and bite his tail.. a p almost 3 times his size!.. i think he would eat a goldfish that was smaller even tho.. he is sorta messed up face wise he is swiming little bit and he ate little last night before he got attacked again..

#12 ·
Separate the little one, you can use a divider if you don´t ave another tank!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.