Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am new here. I have 5 baby piranhas, all Medinai. They are an average size of about 1 inch each but there is this one that is 1.5 inch in length. Overall, this one is bigger, and over the course of my two weeks with my piranhas, I have noticed that the biggest one has been pushing the smaller ones around...Just now it has become a problem to me, because it looks like the biggest piranha is biting other piranha's tail. I just want to pick up that 1.5 inch piranha and smack it down my concrete floor. Should I? Or are there options. Please help.

-Desperate-Angry-Piranha-Killer

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
There will always be one piranha that will bully the others. Fin nipping is common with piranhas as a few of mine have them. I would'nt really worry too much about it. By the way, what size is your tank?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
there will always be fin nipping. i wouldnt be too worried about it as long as they arent really getting thrashed around.

could be because of your tank and decorations...have any more information on the tank setup?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL... I noticed that this is the best Piranha forum in the world when I saw the "Featured Videos". :) Thanks for helping. Uh, yeah, I think this could be the problems of the tank drecoration. Because it is a small 10 gallon with one plant in there. And there is gravel. Overall, there is a lot of open space. RIght now, I can see taht big one chasing others around.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
even with piranha that small you should have a bigger tank.

you'll adventually have to upgrade to a bigger tank, so maybe you should look into that sometime soon.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
i would say to get a bigger tank for your 5 piranha.

a 10g tank is not big enough and that is why they are fighting all the time

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
i agree with the others get a bigger tank and u will have fighting because u have a serra species

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
all the info is correct previously if you had pygocentrus p's like reds etc but if yours are medinai you can only keep one per tank serrasalmus p's dont like each other much.
any p's at that size will be very cannabalistic anyway but you do need to seperate them.
dixon

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WHAT?!
55GAL! THATS CRAZY! Lol,, and I was thinking about buying 5 more reds and put them in with my other 5 medinai. If i find one of my piranha dead, I'm going to kill the biggest one with my bare hands.
By the way, do you think my 5 piranhas will do well with 5 other five male bettas? :)

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Sorry man you have a lot to learn about piranhas...i recommend you visit OPEFE's site or Piranha Fact Sheets here in Pfury for accurate info about Ps...otherwise you should get rid of 4 of your Medinai? (i think you have Spilo CF since Medinai is not available at US) since Serra species don't do well together and get a bigger tank (at least a 30g for a single specimen)...if you want a piranha shoal get 3 Red Bellys and put them in a 55g tank and DON'T EVER mix Pygos with Serras...good luck and read a lot...
!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Any Serrasulmus would tear apart a betta in an instant. 5 is way too many for a 10g tank. You might be able to get one in a 30.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts