Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 4 1/2 inch redbelly in a 20 gallon long tank since sunday.it was in a bare tank and wouldnt eat so i tried decourations and he still wont. now it has a black background cover, black sand, and a ceramic rock. tank mates include a 2 inch convict cichlid and a crawfish. there are also 5 white skirt tetras for food. the temp is at 78. i tried a 1/3 water change as well.

food i have tried-

live goldfish
frozzen goldfish
white skirt tetras
frozen blood worms
grapes

it showed no interest in any of this. please help

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
You have him less than a week - the fish is still acclimatizing, and probably still stressed out from being netted, bagged, and dumped into a completely unknown territory.
Also, he shares his tank with a Convict: I'd get rid of it asap., as cichlids can make a piranha life pretty miserable, and it certainly won't benefit the acclimatization process. So ditch the Convict.

How long it'll take before he starts eating is hard to say: maybe later today, maybe in a week, or two... Just keep trying (try popular stuff first, and just one or two different items: smelt, shrimp and/or fish fillet would be great). Also, he'll hunt down the tetra's once he really gets hungry.
Also, don't mess around with the tank too much: redecorating is stressful to fish that are completely acclimatized, so imagine how a scared and stressed fish would experience such a thing. For now, just toss in some food every once in a while (and remove it after 3-4 hours at most, or keep it in overnight), keep the lights dimmed, and let the tank be.
Your fish will be fine eventually - it just takes time.

One more thing: I'd start thinking about a larger tank (as your Red will eventually outgrow it), preferably large enough to house him and and a couple of buddies. A solitary Redbelly often is a skittish and nervous wreck, as they feel most secure in the presence of their own kind.

Oh, and before I forget: welcome to PFury

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
BizzyBone said:
alrite. and how long should he be able to go on this hunger strike before i get worried

thanks.
[snapback]929104[/snapback]​
Well, you're fish is no youngster anymore, so a week or two without food should be not too much of a problem, provided he was well-fed when you got him (do you have a picture of the little guy).
But I wouldn't worry too much about the time it'll take before he starts eating: the introduction in a new tank already was a stressful event for your piranha, but after that, a redecorating session, then the water change, and the constant presence of a semi-agressive and territorial fish (the Convict) all cause additional stress.

Try to minimize those causes for stress (keep the decor the way it is, wait a while before you do the next water change - say a week for starters, remove the cichlid, dim the lights on the tank, and maybe cover the side walls), and let the fish be. Only get to the tank to either drop in or remove some food, or to check on its well-being. And a couple of feeders (use tetra's or livebearers: no goldfish, barbs, danio's or rosy reds, as they contain growth inhibiting hormones!) provide food whenever your piranha wants to eat...

Don't sweat it : I'm sure your Red will come around - dozens, if not hundreds of members have experienced the same problems, and in most cases all it took was a little patience

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea the tank is dimly (spelling) lit because i have a 29 gallon on top of the stand with river rocks and no gravel so the light shines through to the 20 long on the bottom of the stand but its dark.

yea i know about not feeding carp and carplike species i just had the goldfish at first to see if was going to eat. i have the tetras now for food. no more goldfish.

i thought that i would have to be more worried about the piranha beating up the convict and not vice versa especially cosidering the huge size difference (lol).

after it feeds regularly im going to try to get it to eat prepared carnivore pellets as the staple food with live foods about once a week.

i really don't like feeding fish to fish for water quality reasons

alrite thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
BizzyBone said:
i have a 4 1/2 inch redbelly in a 20 gallon long tank since sunday.it was in a bare tank and wouldnt eat so i tried decourations and he still wont. now it has a black background cover, black sand, and a ceramic rock. tank mates include a 2 inch convict cichlid and a crawfish. there are also 5 white skirt tetras for food. the temp is at 78. i tried a 1/3 water change as well.

food i have tried-

live goldfish
frozzen goldfish
white skirt tetras
frozen blood worms
grapes

it showed no interest in any of this. please help
[snapback]929076[/snapback]​

PIRANHA WILL ACCLIMATE...IT JUST TAKES TIME. IMPORTANT!!!!!!RAISE THE TEMPERATURE TO 82 DEGREES ASAP!!!!!! THEY NEED TO BE WARM. THROW IN A FEW MOLLYS AS THEY HELP REGULATE YOUR NEW AQUARIUM. ALSO, GIVE THEM SOME COVER i.e. fake plants for now(real ones after your tank regulates)dont forget sea salt and proper ph and ammonia levels. piranha care is a full time job. Welcome to the awesome world of owning piranhas!!!!!!! Also, avoid feeders. Try frozen krill they love it and its much better for them. Also, proper filters and get an air stone,, bigger tank blah blah blah.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
BizzyBone said:
yea the tank is dimly (spelling) lit because i have a 29 gallon on top of the stand with river rocks and no gravel so the light shines through to the 20 long on the bottom of the stand but its dark.

yea i know about not feeding carp and carplike species i just had the goldfish at first to see if was going to eat. i have the tetras now for food. no more goldfish.

i thought that i would have to be more worried about the piranha beating up the convict and not vice versa especially cosidering the huge size difference (lol).

after it feeds regularly im going to try to get it to eat prepared carnivore pellets as the staple food with live foods about once a week.

i really don't like feeding fish to fish for water quality reasons

Dont worry..one day soon you'll come home and that convict will be nothing more than .....food to the pianhas!!!!!!!!!

alrite thanks.
[snapback]929125[/snapback]​

·
my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,963 Posts
dont sweat it, my red bellies would go weeks with out eat for no apparent reason..

yours just needs time, as long as you have other fish in the tank he will eat when hes ready..

i got a rhom about three months ago and he didnt eat for almost five weeks after i brought it home.. now he still doesnt eat regularly but it is eating and looks healthy

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Like judazzz said.
Give ur fish time to make him feel at home.
Once in a while try to feed him if it doens't work nevermind try the days after.

There comes a time when his hunger is too much and he must face his fears to eat.

Just don't strees him out try to feed him and just wait untill he feel right @ home.

And welcome to PF!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts