Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the piranha community - a bit of a baptism by fire. Rescued two rbps a few months ago who were hours away from being surrendered to a pet store (not even sure if they would have taken them). Over the last week they stopped eating (they will only eat shrimp) and now the big one is majorly “fat” and getting worse. He suffered a heater burn a few months ago which healed fine. He’s been having issues with a cloudy eye but that’s resolving. But now he’s not eating, he’s bloated, and today he’s swimming off kilter, bumping into things, and doesnt seem to see me. Yesterday he had either a long stringy poo or a dead worm trailing out (looked translucent and segmented). Today I saw a skinny stringy something hanging out of the gill. Here’s the setup:
They’re in a 60 gallon tall with two filters that hang on the side plus a sponge filter on the bottom. Parameters two days ago were pH 7.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 80 (nitrate might be higher, it was hard to tell the colours when it’s that high). Two nights ago I dosed with a smidge less than 1 tsp per gallon salt and I did that again last night, with the intention of dosing one more time tonight as per a post I found on here. I’ve searched the annals of the internet (or so it feels) to figure out what’s wrong and how to fix it and I’m just sick about it. I’m in Canada and it seems like access to meds is almost impossible. I looked on Amazon and if I order Fritz Expel-p today I can get it by October 7th. I really don’t think this guy has that long. Also I’m scheduled for a c-section on October 3rd so I’d like to get this guy (girl?) on the mend. I’m lost and feeling like I’ve failed this wonderful fish. I’ve attached some photos to help with the diagnosis. I’ve scoured this site and still can’t nail down what’s wrong or how to fix it. Somebody help me :(
Water Marine biology Fish Underwater Fin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m sorry to keep replying to my own post. I forgot to mention that I tried a pea and he didn’t go for it. Also there are three neon tetras and a guppy in with them. Do I keep doing water changes throughout the salt dosing? Is it possible the salt is making him worse? He definitely took a hard decline since yesterday. Do I keep feeding? Is there ANYTHING I can do if I can’t get my hands on some meds?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts