Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im kinda stumped as to what kind he is, sorry pics are bad quality, but thats what you get with a cheap camera. The guy I bought it off said it was a highback rhom from peru. But he has shiny scales and some red on him.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
If that is what the guy you bought it from said, then that is the best guess for the origin of your rhom. You MAY be able to tell what he is when he hits three times that size, but the only way to really know is from the original supplier. Nice rhom BTW.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last ones....I promise.

One other thing, the day I got him his eyes were blaring red, now they seem to have faded. Does this happen when they are scared/stressed? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ill look in his gallery if he has one. Do you know if highbacks from peru have shiny scales? Do they lose them as they get older?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Yes, Peruvians will have shiny scales for most of their juvi/sub-adult stages. They will go away much later in life. Around 11 inches or maturity.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
YESSSSSSSSS! Thank you soldat! You dont know how happy youve made me. I was so worried this wasnt the rhom I wanted but now I dont have to be. Do you have any pictures of your rhom? Im still wondering why his eyes are faded..

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, didnt you say this to a different thread before? I coulda swore Ive heard that saying, haha. I know that, but it gives me more self satisfaction knowing I got what I wanted that Ive wanted for a long time

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
eL ChiNo LoCo said:
The guy I bought it off said it was a highback rhom from peru. But he has shiny scales and some red on him.
[snapback]931226[/snapback]​
If the guy says it's a Peruvian Rhom, than it is a Peruvian Rhom (assuming it's a trustworthy person). Wheter the fish has shiny scales or not, or wheter he's pink, blue, red, solid gold, has 6 eyes or aluminium fins, doesn't matter - Peruvian is Peruvian.

Apart from such locality info, all fancy labels people apply to a Rhom (High-back, Diamond, Red-Throat etc. etc. etc.) have no value whatsoever - anyone can make them up, and more often than not the apply to more species than just 1, only adding to the confusion...

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
You made the I.D. of the fish in your topic title "Help me I.D. my new rhom".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts