Piranhas Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Dodge City
10,206 Posts
today I raised the chroma to 8 ppm, ie, 28 liter tank 5 pills with each pill 25 mg. still no worms are knocked down. the manny seems ok except a little stressed.
DonH, could you please tell me how much levamisole should I use? how long should the treatment last? and is there any side effect of this drug? I heard that the standard chroma is 10ppm. is that right?
I also heard that Albendazole can be used for internal parasites but should be used with great careful. are there any one have experience with that?
I found this PDF File --> Treatment for Camallanus (PDF)

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
That link did not work for me... but I think this is the same one: Camallanus Treatment

According to the article, the concentration should be at 15 ppm.
Since the treatment has worked so well, I decided to get some of this compound in its pure form and keep it around for others as well as myself. A medical chemical company which we deal with sells levamisole hydrochloride in 50 gram containers. I split this up into plastic bags to contain 5 grams each. The treatment dosage is 1.5 ml of a 7.5% solution in 2 gallons of water. If one dissolves one of these five gram packets in 3 ounces of water, that's about a 5% solution. Two milliliters of this 5% solution will treat 2 gallons of tank water. Eighteen to twenty drops makes a milliliter or about one medicine dropper full. One ml per gallon. This provides a 15 milligrams per liter treatment bath.
In the article, it's mentioned that levamisole is safe on fish but I have also heard that it could be hard on fish. I guess individual sensitivity towards meds would apply in this case.

I think one of the most important points to treatment is to keep the quarantine tank bare bottom (no gravel) and just place a small piece of driftwood and a small plastic plant in there to help with stress. Water changes are VERY important when treating for internal parasites because you need to vacuum the bottom very well to get rid of the infected feces or worm that the fish is going to shed. Having a bare bottom tank will ensure that you are thorough in picking up everything off the bottom while doing water changes.

I would also monitor the red bellies for signs of loss of appetite or camallanus nematodes protruding out of the anus also (just in case). That article is good reading and should be able to answer all your questions... Good luck with the treatment and keep us updated.

·
Registered
399 Posts
thanks a lot, DrZoidberg and DonH!
my manny is a 45cm*25cm*25cm hospital tank. I removed all the gravels. there are 2 feeders, a pleco and a plant in the tank besides the manny. it is a little crowed but just temporary.
last night I added 3 more pills in the tank. there are totally 8 pills added. each pill is 25mg. not sure how much effective compound are there because there no mention on the instruction. assuming it is pure, the dosage will be around 7-8 ppm, i.e., 8 pills in 28 liters water.
today I woke up and still found no worm on the bottom. I plan to raise the dosage to 10 ppm tonight if still no effect. and this will be the maximum dosage for current treatment since manny is said to be very sensitive to drugs. I will change the water 1 or 2 days later no matter the worms have been killed or not. and if the worms haven't been killed I will try do 1 more treatment a few days later.
I will keep you updata of the process. correct me if anything I will do worng.

·
Registered
399 Posts
last night I add 4 pills into the tank, which makes the dosage up to 12 ppm. but today still found no worms on the bottom. I think this treatment fails. so I changed the water 1/5 a while ago.
it is a frustrating result.

·
Offical P-Fury Ex-communicant
6,979 Posts
Update on your manny? Im afraid my manny has the same problem now

21 - 25 of 25 Posts