Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
my manny haven't eat normally for quite a long time and I can't find out the reason. today I suddenly found that there are internal parasites in its anus! and those parasites go back into it after a few minutes! what should I do to save my manny? it is sharing a tank with my big reds. will my red have parasites too? what parasites is these and how to treat them? PLEASE HELP ME!!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thats makes only good to your fish. Then parasites cant get food either. You can starve it a week and then try to feed MEDICATED food. There is other medicins too which just have to add to water, not food.

·
Offical P-Fury Ex-communicant
6,979 Posts
You say you have the manny in with reds. How long has it been like this? Im willing to bet the little manny is stressed and thats why he isnt eating. Try removing him to his own tank (hospital tank) and let him alone for a day or so then try to feed. Mannys easily get stressed and the situation hes in now is very stressufl which could contribute or be the reason he isnt eating.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the manny aren't that stressed because it used to be housed with a 7'' black rhom for severval months. it did fine and grow from 4'' to alomost 6'''. and a week agoit still took some feeders. it is very thin, which you can see from the photo. so I think the main reason will be the parasites.
it is now in a hospital tank. I am going to treat it with Levomisole, which I heard effective for internal parasites. are there any one with the experience with this medicine?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would suggest Prazipro because it is a liquid you can just add to the water which is alot easier than trying to get your manny to eat medicated food

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would suggest Prazipro because it is a liquid you can just add to the water which is alot easier than trying to get your manny to eat medicated food
Yes, it's alot easier but medicated food goes to fish stomach, where the parasites are. And that's how is more effective

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yes, it's alot easier but medicated food goes to fish stomach, where the parasites are. And that's how is more effective
[/quote]

Not true bro. It won't work for finicky eaters.
Let me also tell you that I experimented with direct oral injections for my cichlids in the past and I don't see any benifits. It was actually worst because the fish were more stressed.
Prazi Pro or pure Praziquantel or Flubendazol are the ultimate meds for internal parasites. The meds get absorp through the gills. You must do a dual treatment each lasting one week with a 2 weeks rest in between.

·
Registered
399 Posts
camallanus... use levamisole. prazi will not work.
after some searching, I also think that these worms are camallanus. and it seems that levamisole will work.

I moved the manny to the hospital tank last night. and gradually added levamisole into the tank. since the levamisole were pills I resolved them in a glass first. and I think the current chroma is around 1 ppm. the fish is ok but still no worms are killed.

are there any one who has the experience on this medicine? how much levamisole should I add into the water?

my english is not very well so hope you can understand.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
Hello Donnie, from a student's point of view may i ask how you came to this conclusion, besides experience :laugh: Reason i ask is when my rhom died his poop looked very similar to that. Wonder if that may have caused his HITH. Anyways i am going to move this to Saved Topics forum. Excellent informative post.
to Saved Topics.

·
Offical P-Fury Ex-communicant
6,979 Posts
Hello Donnie, from a student's point of view may i ask how you came to this conclusion, besides experience :laugh: Reason i ask is when my rhom died his poop looked very similar to that. Wonder if that may have caused his HITH. Anyways i am going to move this to Saved Topics forum. Excellent informative post.
to Saved Topics.
[/quote]

The infestation is characterized by, among other things, the presence of tiny red thread structures protruding from the anus of the infected host fish. Close inspection of the victim shows a swollen and irritated vent area. The worms actually protrude 1/3 to 1/2 inch from the anus of the infected fish. This is about one fourth to one third of the worm's length. The worms are red from the victim's blood in their gut.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
Thanks Exodus. Another interesting question. Since Prazi is a de-wormer can any one explain why it won't be effective in this case.

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
Since Prazi is a de-wormer can any one explain why it won't be effective in this case.
Internal parasites are not all the same... Just like with antibiotics, the choice of which one to use depends if the bacterial infection is gram negative or gram positive. Use one to treat the other and you will fail. The only solution, if you don't know what it is, is to treat with a wide spectrum antibiotic to cover all your bases.

In this case, I'm pretty sure its camallanus. So why use anything else to treat for it that might risk stressing or killing the fish without actually killing the specific parasite?

Back to your question... Prazi is known to treat for tapeworms (cestodes), flatworms and flukes (trematodes). Camallanus is a roundworm (nematode). They are very different. Different meds kill specific parasites through different means (like the antibiotic example). That's why we have different meds for internal parasites (metronidazole, praziquantel, levamisole, flubendazole, etc.) because one med can NOT treat for ALL possible internal parasite infections. It concerns me that someone would recommend PraziPro just because the fish has internal parasites... Fortunately, praziquantel is a relatively safe drug, but it is not needed in this case.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Since Prazi is a de-wormer can any one explain why it won't be effective in this case.
Internal parasites are not all the same... Just like with antibiotics, the choice of which one to use depends if the bacterial infection is gram negative or gram positive. Use one to treat the other and you will fail. The only solution, if you don't know what it is, is to treat with a wide spectrum antibiotic to cover all your bases.

In this case, I'm pretty sure its camallanus. So why use anything else to treat for it that might risk stressing or killing the fish without actually killing the specific parasite?

Back to your question... Prazi is known to treat for tapeworms (cestodes), flatworms and flukes (trematodes). Camallanus is a roundworm (nematode). They are very different. Different meds kill specific parasites through different means (like the antibiotic example). That's why we have different meds for internal parasites (metronidazole, praziquantel, levamisole, flubendazole, etc.) because one med can NOT treat for ALL possible internal parasite infections. It concerns me that someone would recommend PraziPro just because the fish has internal parasites... Fortunately, praziquantel is a relatively safe drug, but it is not needed in this case.
[/quote]

I have heard over the last several monthes many people just using this, the thinking is their fish will be worm free and grow really big(mainly big rhoms).........I have also been saying not to use it unless you know what your treating for 100%.

·
Registered
399 Posts
today I raised the chroma to 8 ppm, ie, 28 liter tank 5 pills with each pill 25 mg. still no worms are knocked down. the manny seems ok except a little stressed.
DonH, could you please tell me how much levamisole should I use? how long should the treatment last? and is there any side effect of this drug? I heard that the standard chroma is 10ppm. is that right?
I also heard that Albendazole can be used for internal parasites but should be used with great careful. are there any one have experience with that?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts