Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
18,153 Posts
NitrAtes won't be broken down by any chemical process in your tank - you need to take care of that yourself, by doing water changes.
Since you have pretty high levels, start with a large one (50%), followed by a smaller one (25%) 2 days later.

btw: live plants will help bringing your nitrAtes down, but they will not replace water changes.

· Registered
2,231 Posts
piranhaqueen said:
ditto on the water changes and plants...... is your tank overstocked????
[snapback]878134[/snapback]​
According to his sig:

125 gallon- 4, 5-8 inch Reds
1 , 5 inch caribe
2 plecos
1 jack dempsey and 4 tertras

Doesn't seem like it to me, although plecos can cause that.

In one of his other posts he said he was doing water changes once a month, which would cause them to be so high. But, now he seems to be keeping better care.

Best of luck.

· Registered
940 Posts
no dont tak them out just make sure and gravel vac every water change do like 15-25% every week and you will get them under control
i had same prob a week ago and did a 40% water change and added some amquel+ and everything is fine now
just keep up on water changes and gravel vac's and you will be golden
later

· Registered
126 Posts
Powder said:
no dont tak them out just make sure and gravel vac every water change do like 15-25% every week and you will get them under control
i had same prob a week ago and did a 40% water change and added some amquel+ and everything is fine now
just keep up on water changes and gravel vac's and you will be golden
later
[snapback]880575[/snapback]​
make sure you clean your substrate when you do water changes. detrious build up is a major factor in nitrate build up. because it will continue to build up and decay causing the release of more amonia ect...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.