Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, im a new tropical keeper, that is ready to take on the piranha challenge!!

looking after the fish themselves will be the essential part to me, i have a 50 gallon tank that i intend to stock with 2 red bellies untill they are huge little critters.

just thought id say hi, great forum btw!

ian , uk

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
:welcome:
You should post some pics when you have the 2 guys. You getting adults or babies? I started with one baby and have had him for about 2 years now. I have enjoyed seeing him grow all the way from fry to guy.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for the welcome mate!

they are goin to be babies, and also its a 50 gallon in uk measures, so probs about 62 over in the usa

will 2 red bellies be ok in there? im not one of those people that stuffs fish in a tiny tank, its out of order!

the piranha is a fantastic fish, and deserves respect in my opinion

ill wack sum pics up over the next few weeks!

another quicky - how long shall i cycle the tank for? ive got all the time in the world because i havnt ordered my new pals yet , thanks!!

ian

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I would go with 3 red bellies in your UK 50 gallon if its closer to 62 gallons US.

Some people say that two red bellies wont work in a tank because of territorial reasons, so three is the way to go.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
waspride said:
Welcome to the forum.

I would go with 3 red bellies in your UK 50 gallon if its closer to 62 gallons US.

Some people say that two red bellies wont work in a tank because of territorial reasons, so three is the way to go.

[snapback]949333[/snapback]​
thanks mate, i did think about terratorial behaviour, thanks for clearing that up !!

ian

G

·
To cycle the tank you need something producing ammonia and it takes as long as it takes. You will need a test kit and something to produce ammonia.

When your Ammonia levels have risen and dropped back to zero and the same for Nitrite. And your Nitrate levels have risen you are good to go. It can take as long as 4 weeks, people will tell you to use Bio-Spira. You won't find it over here I shouldn't imagine. Others don't appear to work.

·
Registered
813 Posts
You can use cheap goldfish or any other fish you don't care about to produce ammonia to help cycle your tank. The goldfish may live, they may not. It will take about 6 weeks.

The rule with red-bellies is 20 US gallons per fish, so you could do 3 in there if you wanted to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts